Seat belt retractor broke, Replace, leave it or is there another option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
The passenger side seat belt retractor lever broke on my 1987 Monte Carlo. What does it take to replace these? Is it worth it to make them work as they should? Is there a way to update these to a modern seatbelt that does not use these retractors? I also need to replace a few trim pieces on the seatbelts so if replacement is an option now is the time to do it. If it is better to fix it then all the trim will be done now too, This car is a driver, not a show car.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The passenger side seat belt retractor lever broke on my 1987 Monte Carlo. What does it take to replace these? Is it worth it to make them work as they should? Is there a way to update these to a modern seatbelt that does not use these retractors? I also need to replace a few trim pieces on the seatbelts so if replacement is an option now is the time to do it. If it is better to fix it then all the trim will be done now too, This car is a driver, not a show car.
The replacement seatbelts don't use the retractor lever. The stock seatbelt locks if the door comes open, to keep you from flying out of the car. The replacement seatbelts are like what are in modern cars in that bumps cause them to lock as well as pulling on them fast. They take some getting used to.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Two phillips head screws hold the lever in the door jamb. There's a gasket behind it, and check the screw holes as years of hiding may show some rust around the holes and the backside.

If you're lucky, you can get the old one out and put a new one in from the jamb, but I've never been lucky. I have always taken the rear seat and lower side panel off to gain access to ensure the flexible rod got placed correctly.

They make a new repro for the driver side that Gbodyparts sells, but for whatever reason, they don't for the passenger side.

GM p/n you seek would be 20020378 for passenger side. (20020379 for driver side p/n)

Reactions: 1 users

Rocket350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2021
Charlevoix, MI
The replacement seatbelts don't use the retractor lever. The stock seatbelt locks if the door comes open, to keep you from flying out of the car. The replacement seatbelts are like what are in modern cars in that bumps cause them to lock as well as pulling on them fast. They take some getting used to.
Do you have a link for the replacement seatbelt kit(s). I need a driver's front black for a 1979 Cutlass. Thanks

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Do you have a link for the replacement seatbelt kit(s). I need a driver's front black for a 1979 Cutlass. Thanks
This is who I used....

Reactions: 1 user

Rocket350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2021
Charlevoix, MI
This is who I used....
Thanks. I am assuming that I would select the G Body 82-88 due to the updated "modern" pre tensioner? Then I could eliminate the door jamb lever that always breaks?

Oldsmbl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2017
I have bunches of these. Used. $10. Greg. Call or text me at 864-616-4619

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You can get the belts re-webbed several places....and probably should due to age and sun exposure. I mean, racing belts have to recertified, and they live a much better life than un-garaged "old car" belts

Personally, I think the original belts are the best design ever. I love that you can pull it out to get a little slack and it will stay there. Should be added to "modern" seatbelts, IMO.

Reactions: 1 users

Rocket350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2021
Charlevoix, MI
You can get the belts re-webbed several places....and probably should due to age and sun exposure. I mean, racing belts have to recertified, and they live a much better life than un-garaged "old car" belts

Personally, I think the original belts are the best design ever. I love that you can pull it out to get a little slack and it will stay there. Should be added to "modern" seatbelts, IMO.
I agree with the pull and slack.The mechanism of the belts work great. I want to keep it factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor