Seat Belt Tension Retractor Levers What In The World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4oldsmobiles64

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2020
Hello out there,
Not sure which thread BUT
Have an 1980 442
I bought 2 Seat Belt retractors to which the ad said 1978-1988 Cutlass - Regal etc. etc.
However these seem WAYYYYY too long.
When I try and install then they have quite a lot bend in the middle of them.
Will they still work?
Are they too long and are wrong length?
Anyone's suggestions would be great.
Thanks, Cory

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No idea if you got the right ones or not. They should be installed straight without bending. I’m thinking something is amiss here. You may have them caught up on something. Unfortunately I’m not at the house right now to check my parts books but IIRC the 2 door 78-88 are all the same.

4oldsmobiles64

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2020
I thought so too but when I install it - it goes through the eyelet hole - hit the back wheel well hump and the spiral copper looking rod is so long that there is around 1 inch more that sticks out to where the lever screws down in the door jam.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
78-88 uses p/n 20304170 pass side, and 20304171 driver side.

Do you still have your old ones to compare?

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
After looking at a picture of how they mount, there is a bit of "S" bend to the springy rod when installed. But it shouldn't be sticking out by an inch or so. It has to sit in the release lever on the seat belt retractor, otherwise you won't have the belt retract when you open the door. Could it be one from a different body style? They are different part numbers, but as to what's different, I don't know.

Here's a driver side pic of how it should look.

Driver side seat belt release G-body 2 door.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

4oldsmobiles64

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2020
I'm afraid I don't. I see that this one has a bend. Mine will fit too but it has more of a bend than that. It might work but it'll be tight.

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
I couldnt get those thing in without removing rear seats and trim, maybe my talent level is low.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor