MALIBU Seat 💺 belts

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Can anyone enlighten me about shoulder retraction belts as my car had them cut out?
As I’m looking for a pair have all the rest 1979 coupe !! Thanks guys

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Can anyone enlighten me about shoulder retraction belts as my car had them cut out?
As I’m looking for a pair have all the rest 1979 coupe !! Thanks guys
There's not much to them. The mechanized side attached 3 places - 1) between the seat and rocker panel into the vertical part of the floor; 2) by your head between the opera glass and the window; 3) fed through the rear armrest below the opera windows and bolted into a sheetmetal box bolted to the inner quarter. Then the retractor (black plastic lever on the bottom of the b-pillar edge when you open the door, down below the qtr vent and door striker) feeds through the metal, to the box, and clips onto the seat belt mechanism.

Installation will be first behind rear armrest panel, fed through and up onto the top mount, then last down to the floor

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
There's not much to them. The mechanized side attached 3 places - 1) between the seat and rocker panel into the vertical part of the floor; 2) by your head between the opera glass and the window; 3) fed through the rear armrest below the opera windows and bolted into a sheetmetal box bolted to the inner quarter. Then the retractor (black plastic lever on the bottom of the b-pillar edge when you open the door, down below the qtr vent and door striker) feeds through the metal, to the box, and clips onto the seat belt mechanism.

Installation will be first behind rear armrest panel, fed through and up onto the top mount, then last down to the floor
How do you know if one can convert to retractable belts and where in the world is the placement for the mechanism? And thanks for your crisp explanation! Appreciate it
Dez

Last edited:

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
How do you know if one can convert to retractable belts and where in the world is the placement for the mechanism? And thanks for your crisp explanation! Appreciate it
Dez
it's already a retractable belt. the mechanism is inside the column. what is it it you are trying to do?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
it's already a retractable belt. the mechanism is inside the column. what is it it you are trying to do?
In the 79 there is not retracting it’s a simple attachment. Over the b pillar. The belts were cut. I wanted to update to a more modern belts that is that rolled up belt in a compartment “of sorts.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
In the 79 there is not retracting it’s a simple attachment. Over the b pillar. The belts were cut. I wanted to update to a more modern belts that is that rolled up belt in a compartment “of sorts.
Youre wrong, see my earlier post. Take apart the panels next to the rear seat.

Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Follow your B pillar trim up to the headliner line. Should be a triangular pivot above the trim. Your lower interior panel and arm rest should have a slot molded in it towards the front of the panel. That is the pass through that goes to the belt retractor mechanism behind the rear panel.

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
just got them back from Seat Belts 💺 restore I do not suggest them, that said, I have them all in a box right now and it’s a little bit confusing. Can somebody lead me to a step-by-step although I have a pretty good idea of how to put them back together because I’m not an idiot I would really like a little bit of coaching in this heat considering I’ll be doing it this week. Thanks Dez

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor