Seat foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey61

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 5, 2023
How fat the girl needs to be is directly proportional to how much space the foam needs to be compressed multiplied by how much candy bars you have to keep her sitting in place long enough to squish said foam.
You could be right, it's just that I bought the car new and I sat a good bit lower . I'am 6' and I just don't why there is this much difference.

Davey61

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 5, 2023
Does the seat bottom foam have the wires in it for the center hog rings? This helps pull down the center of the seat foam some to help compress it. Just thinking out loud here.
I do not know , I could check. But I do appreciate your thinking.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You could be right, it's just that I bought the car new and I sat a good bit lower . I'am 6' and I just don't why there is this much difference.
One thing that happens is upholstery guys aren't using the same foam as original, not necessarily in thickness or in density. They use a currently manufactured replacement.

These days, and for 30 years, the trend is towards less compressive seats. That's why new vehicles are like sitting on a rock, and, why 40 years ago it felt like driving a couch down the road.

I'd suspect you're seeing a little bit of effect from 5 or 6 sources, and, cumulatively, they add up to a big difference.

Davey61

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 5, 2023
One thing that happens is upholstery guys aren't using the same foam as original, not necessarily in thickness or in density. They use a currently manufactured replacement.

These days, and for 30 years, the trend is towards less compressive seats. That's why new vehicles are like sitting on a rock, and, why 40 years ago it felt like driving a couch down the road.

I'd suspect you're seeing a little bit of effect from 5 or 6 sources, and, cumulatively, they add up to a big difference.
Thank you for this info.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We've had the same experience in my brother's 78 Z28 that we restored. The seats were rebuilt with new foam and they seem to sit higher and firmer than stock. I'm not tall (5'9") and my head nearly touches the headliner. I blame reproduction parts.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Anyone have a fat chick he can borrow for a day or two?

Davey61

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 5, 2023
We've had the same experience in my brother's 78 Z28 that we restored. The seats were rebuilt with new foam and they seem to sit higher and firmer than stock. I'm not tall (5'9") and my head nearly touches the headliner. I blame reproduction parts.
Thanks Texas.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor