Seat motor/transmission help!~

Status
Not open for further replies.

83Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2007
Ft. Myers, FL
Ok so I have the factory bench seats in my 83 regal limited. However the seat motor transmission has crumbled. Like the motor works, but the seat will not move, so i am forced to drive around very very uncomfortably close to the dash. The lady i bought the car from was about 5'7 and im 6'1. So my questions are;

Is there any way i can move the seat back?

Where/how much can I get the seat transmission for?

Will the trasmission from any G-Body work?

Any of Yall got one for sale?

How hard is it to replace?

Thanks,
Tyler

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
so its a 60/40 split . its not that hard to change you can get new tracks to replace the old burnt out ones. have you checked the fuse ? it might not be the motor itself . it could be the connection, the wire somewhere along the the way it could be grounded out . try conecting a car battery charger to the power and ground wire coming out of the seat . if that doesnt work its the motor in the seat .

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
First check for a jamb, junk, loose carpet, even old '80s condoms.

83Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2007
Ft. Myers, FL
Its definately the transmission. When I touch the switches on the side of the seat, the motor spins, its just that the seat doesn't do anything.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If you have a u pull it yard locally, I would go there and see if you can find one. It should be less than $30 if the yards by you are like the ones by me. Heck, a whole Th200 4R can be had for $65 the last time I looked, so you should get away cheap. Owning an old car you should really be going to those places once every few weeks anyways. I go 1-2 times a week and have 4 yards to choose from. Last time I went (2 days ago) I saw about 30 or 40 G bodies in one yard alone. I live around Tampa FL BTW and go to the LKQ U Pull It yards (3 of them) and Big 3 U Pull It. There are also locations of LKQ in Daytona Beach and Orlando that I know of ( I noticed that you live in FL)

83Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2007
Ft. Myers, FL
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
If you have a u pull it yard locally, I would go there and see if you can find one. It should be less than $30 if the yards by you are like the ones by me. Heck, a whole Th200 4R can be had for $65 the last time I looked, so you should get away cheap. Owning an old car you should really be going to those places once every few weeks anyways. I go 1-2 times a week and have 4 yards to choose from. Last time I went (2 days ago) I saw about 30 or 40 G bodies in one yard alone. I live around Tampa FL BTW and go to the LKQ U Pull It yards (3 of them) and Big 3 U Pull It. There are also locations of LKQ in Daytona Beach and Orlando that I know of ( I noticed that you live in FL)

Thanks for the tip, but there aren't really any yards near me.....any way you could get the part for me and send it to me and ill give you money?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would if I had time to go do that sort of thing. I work 50-60 hrs a week and barely have time to do my own stuff. I am getting mine running again right now after a cam and rocker swap, then I need to find time to finish the body and paint ( The car is a gutted shell with a seat and dash as the only interior that's installed). However, I may consider doing such a thing in the future if I ever go back to school and I felt there was enough of a demand for it to be a profitable side business.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
1) You could probably switch it to a manual track which might be cheaper, with less stuff to break.

2) Search on-line for some places that sell used G-Body Parts and see if they will ship. Try Dixie Monte-Carlo, they will likely sell it to you but it will be more costly than if you go down to a local yard and pull it yourself.

AlexPorti

n00b
Jun 2, 2007
Stock Islans FL 33040
GM seat Transmissions 20113446 (79-80) and 20225150 (81-88)

Greetings, I have manufactured NEW CASES for this part. I sell a complete rebuilt unit with a few modifications internally. The case is guaranteed for life and and the internals for one year and I will offer exchange units for a modest fee after that. I have sold almost 100 in the last year and a half without one return. check out www.ProperParts.com These are also available from www.NewGMParts.com and www.GBodyparts.com as well as many other suppliers.
Regards,
Alex Porti III
305-942-9547

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor