Seat Tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2013
I recently had a set of factory 85 Grand Prix buckets reupholstered for my 81 GP. My car was originally equipped with the 40/60 split with power drivers side. I am 6'4" and never felt 100% comfortable with head clearance in the pillowy drivers side bench seat, but it was acceptable. The new issue is that I'm also not totally happy with my newly upholstered buckets. They look great and factory new, but the bolstering they've put in is much firmer and situates me higher in the seat to the point where I have to tilt my head into the moonroof cavity to get head clearance. Also, the seat tracks for the buckets appear noticeably taller, (?!?!) than the seat tracks on the bench. I tried swapping the bench tracks onto the buckets but then the holes in the tracks didn't line up with the seat studs in the floor. I have considered cutting the bucket tracks down 1-2" and rewelding, but I think that will have a low percentage probability of success and it is an absolute last resort.
So, my question is, has anyone run into this issue before, and how did you deal with it? Also, does anyone have experience with aftermarket seat tracks, and if so, are you happy with the results? I just want to be comfortable and enjoy my GP, but this is actually making me avoid driving the car because I don't look forward to getting into it.
Your comments greatly appreciated. Thanks!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would look for a driver's side power unit that way you can drop it down and tilt back to gain head and leg room.
While I have done this several times I also made brackets out of 1/4" plate to move my seat back about 2.25" giving me more room.
They have a slight arch downward the farther back the seat is so it will also give you more headroom.

IMG_1806.jpg
IMG_1807.jpg
20170115_212545_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Paladin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2013
Like those brackets a lot 565bbchevy, nice job. I'll reexamine the bucket tracks again and physically move the seat location around while it's unattached just to see if I can a better positioning. May end up borrowing your relocation bracket idea if you don't mind!😬 As per Anubis, thanks, and yes I will look at both bench and bucket tracks again and size in the differences and report back here.

I would look for a driver's side power unit that way you can drop it down and tilt back to gain head and leg room.
While I have done this several times I also made brackets out of 1/4" plate to move my seat back about 2.25" giving me more room.
They have a slight arch downward the farther back the seat is so it will also give you more headroom.

View attachment 101450 View attachment 101451 View attachment 101452

Paladin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2013
Hey Guys, sorry for lagging on this but a few comments to add. First, yes Anubis, I measured them and you are correct in that the brackets are indeed the exact same height between the bucket versions and the 60/40 versions. With the 60/40 bench I had juuust enough headroom, but part of that was likely due to the seat cushion having compressed over time. The re-upholstered buckets are nice and firm and bolstered, but likely match the OEM profile and as a result place me too high in the seat with the stock brackets. To 565bbchevy, your brackets are brilliant(!), but I need to drop my butt a good inch, preferably two to be comfortable. I've researched the aftermarket versions on Summit's site and I have mixed feelings about what I've read. My current thinking is to cut a set of stock brackets down and then reweld. I want to be sure I have this well planned and thought out before I start hacking, so I'll be back once I've completed my head scratching. As always, look forward to input.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Like I said previously if you get a driver's side power base it will drop down pretty low plus you are not stuck with a "bolt in" seat position
Both my Monte and Regal have power bases for both front seats but my Regal seats are NOS factory Gbody seats so I made the relocation brackets because they are so firm and I sat up too high.

Paladin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2013
Like I said previously if you get a driver's side power base it will drop down pretty low plus you are not stuck with a "bolt in" seat position
Both my Monte and Regal have power bases for both front seats but my Regal seats are NOS factory Gbody seats so I made the relocation brackets because they are so firm and I sat up too high.

Great idea on using the power base. I actually hadn't even considered swapping that. I'll check it out for sure. Thanks also to 83StreetMachine for the suggested 82-92 brackets, which I assume have a lower rise versus the g-body brackets. I'll keep you updated on how things go. Thanks again guys.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Great idea on using the power base. I actually hadn't even considered swapping that. I'll check it out for sure. Thanks also to 83StreetMachine for the suggested 82-92 brackets, which I assume have a lower rise versus the g-body brackets. I'll keep you updated on how things go. Thanks again guys.

The power base is the way to go. You will get at least another inch lower than the standard base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor