Second interview in Prescott AZ

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Good Afternoon fellow members,

As some of you know my wife and I have lived in San Diego our whole lives, heck I am third generation born and raised. We just had our first kid 8 months ago and have come to the realization that even with two decent jobs we are a long ways out from ever affording a home. I will leave the politics and other issues aside for now.

I have a potential opportunity to join a company at a higher level position than I am at now with a significant pay increase out in Prescott Az. I will be heading out there later this week for a plant tour and second round interviews.

Has anyone lived or lives in Prescott who can chime in on how the town is to live in as well as raising a family out there.

One big positive outcome that applies to this forum is smog testing would be completely unnecessary. Can someone say forced induction!!

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Good Afternoon fellow members,

As some of you know my wife and I have lived in San Diego our whole lives, heck I am third generation born and raised. We just had our first kid 8 months ago and have come to the realization that even with two decent jobs we are a long ways out from ever affording a home. I will leave the politics and other issues aside for now.

I have a potential opportunity to join a company at a higher level position than I am at now with a significant pay increase out in Prescott Az. I will be heading out there later this week for a plant tour and second round interviews.

Has anyone lived or lives in Prescott who can chime in on how the town is to live in as well as raising a family out there.

One big positive outcome that applies to this forum is smog testing would be completely unnecessary. Can someone say forced induction!!
I can safely say that life without forced induction is like marriage without sex.........................................

I've been to Arizona once in my life and it was to catch a connecting flight from Miami to Newark (yes, no kidding), but it was beautiful from the plane and it was DAMN hot. I'm not a fan of DAMN hot, so.................................

Lastly, look out for number 1 before out step in number 2. You can always move back if it doesn't work out. You're decision is a no brainer to me because you know about heat already, San Diego is not eskimo territory, forced induction, a better opportunity for you and you're family, you're young, and a step away from the land of fruits and nuts.

I sincerely hope it works out for the best for you. Good luck!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
I can safely say that life without forced induction is like marriage without sex.........................................

I've been to Arizona once in my life and it was to catch a connecting flight from Miami to Newark (yes, no kidding), but it was beautiful from the plane and it was DAMN hot. I'm not a fan of DAMN hot, so.................................

Lastly, look out for number 1 before out step in number 2. You can always move back if it doesn't work out. You're decision is a no brainer to me because you know about heat already, San Diego is not eskimo territory, forced induction, a better opportunity for you and you're family, you're young, and a step away from the land of fruits and nuts.

Thank you! Luckily Prescott is 1.5 hours north of Phoenix at 5800' elevation. So they don't see the extreme heat like the south does. But I do appreciate the response and encouragement!

Reactions: 1 user

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021

My buddy is also one of the local cops in town there so hopefully a bbq with some of the local law enforcement will help to prevent unnecessary tickets.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Follow your heart and do what you think is best. I made a similar decision almost 40 years ago and thought I can always move back. I never did.
Do it

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
drove thru there on New Years Eve about 8 yrs ago on our way from LA to Flagstaff. yay, snow! I think Prescott is one of the better options in AZ. the area didn't seem nearly as crowded to me and looked like it had some decent roads to get around without a ton of traffic.
compared to California? from all the stuff I've heard over the years you'll be financially far ahead; state income tax-wise, property tax-wise, cost of living-wise. I've looked at moving there from TX and it would be a mixed bag for me but I think I would be coming out ahead.

population of 50k? sounds good to me. IIRC I thought I read somewhere that Prescott is not a working class town but middle class and up in regards to income and it being a place for retirement. you'll need to check into the school situation and all that entails.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
drove thru there on New Years Eve about 8 yrs ago on our way from LA to Flagstaff. yay, snow! I think Prescott is one of the better options in AZ. the area didn't seem nearly as crowded to me and looked like it had some decent roads to get around without a ton of traffic.
compared to California? from all the stuff I've heard over the years you'll be financially far ahead; state income tax-wise, property tax-wise, cost of living-wise. I've looked at moving there from TX and it would be a mixed bag for me but I think I would be coming out ahead.

population of 50k? sounds good to me. IIRC I thought I read somewhere that Prescott is not a working class town but middle class and up in regards to income and it being a place for retirement. you'll need to check into the school situation and all that entails.
We visited these year in April and the amount of friendly people really caught me off guard. Almost felt like I was part of “the Truman show” haha.

That’s one of my larger concerns is the potential for success of my son as he grows up. Wife and I have discussed that a lot that we need to come to terms with that he will more than likely move out of town as he gets into college and will probably never return.

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
When me and now ex-wife were looking to move there, some people siad to look at Prescott valley, you can find nicer homes at 20-25% less than in prescott, and they werre on larger lots.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
When me and now ex-wife were looking to move there, some people siad to look at Prescott valley, you can find nicer homes at 20-25% less than in prescott, and they werre on larger lots.
Good to know! I’ll be driving around to look at homes and you are right they are cheaper and some have some nice size shops on them. Heck found one with a 25’x25’ shop with a bathroom attached to the side of it for under $400k. Same house in my not fancy neighborhood of San Diego would be $900-1.2m right now

• Wow

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Good to know! I’ll be driving around to look at homes and you are right they are cheaper and some have some nice size shops on them. Heck found one with a 25’x25’ shop with a bathroom attached to the side of it for under $400k. Same house in my not fancy neighborhood of San Diego would be $900-1.2m right now
That sh*t is just insane. My part of the world is nothing like that AT ALL and it's part of the reason I live here. Rural, 4 acre square lot, attached 2 car garage, 200ft driveway, inground pool - $250k. A similar property down state is over a mill. I've heard that California is worse. I'd crap myself if I had to pay $700K for a house - ABSOLUTE INSANITY.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Wow

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor