Securing Double Din Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

YungFlip43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
I have an 86 SS and I'm going to install a double din in the dash. Fitment is fine, but there is no dash install kit for it obviously. How is everyone securing their radio to the dash cavity?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Unless you plan to remove the heater controls there isn't enough room top to bottom for a double din. The opening is just enough for a 1.5 din. You'll have to be creative to make it look clean & well fitted.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Echo the double DIN. The HVAC has all those vac hoses hangin out of it. I made a bracket out of aluminum to replace the stamped steel one, to fit a stacked DIN radio and 1/2 DIN equalizer/amp. About 30 years ago. Paint it black to hide any mistakes when cutting out the stock plastic radio plate.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I was under the impression that once you filed down the steel bracing/frame, it was such a tight fit, you didn't need anything to hold it in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor