Self adjusters questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertscova

Greasemonkey
Jun 27, 2015
One of the adjusters turns clockwise to push brakes out and the other one turned counterclockwise to push the brakes out. they are gold and silver. And I'm not sure which one goes to what side

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Color doesn't matter. Well, it might, but I never consider that. IIRC, the "star wheel" is on the rear shoe side of the brakes. Some star wheel assemblies have RH and LH stamped on them, but not all. Been a while since I did these. The star wheel that turns counter clockwise to go out (looking from the rear side) is on the driver side, or LH side. The RH, or passenger side turns clockwise when looking at it from the rear. Kinda makes sense because you can use the window on the back side of the backing plate to put the adjusting tool to lever down, which pushes the tip up, turning the star wheel the proper direction to expand the brake shoes.

Somebody check my memory. I haven't done a brake job on a drum brake in probably 10 years!

0996b43f80211a11.gif

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Another way to tell if they're going right direction is when you install them, sitting directly in front of the brake assembly, if the teeth on the wheel side of the star wheel moves downward to expand the brakes, you're good.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Another way to tell if they're going right direction is when you install them, sitting directly in front of the brake assembly, if the teeth on the wheel side of the star wheel moves downward to expand the brakes, you're good.

This is the easiest way to explain it ^. From the drum side you want to rotate the star down to expand the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor