Selling Olds 403 build - feelers for price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Fellow Oldsmobile enthusiasts, I am considering selling the moderately built Oldsmobile 403 long block from my 1986 442. After the LS swap I hung onto it in hopes of finding a good roller but that isn't happening anytime soon. I am now considering selling it on Craigslist or the Homecoming show in Lansing. I realize I will not get my initial investment back but looking for your thoughts on a fair asking price. Here are the details. What do you think?

Pulled out of my car in running condition for fuel injected motor - LS swap.
1979 Trans am Olds 403 with under 5K miles after rebuild
Hot tanked, line bored, .030" cylinder overbore
TRW forged pistons (9.6 : 1 compression ratio with #5 heads)
Melling high volume oil pump
MSD HEI with custom distributor curve
Nice 800 cfm Q-jet with big secondary rods and primaries. Throttle shaft is tight.
Competition cams (have specs somewhere - moderate cam lope)
Comp roller tip valve train
Edelbrock performer intake
Around 2014 I added 1968 #5 heads with 455 stainless valves, bowl port and polish.
Exhaust dividers welded for headers. Over $1200 invested in heads alone.

Before putting in another car I would install a new rear seal.
Compression is good but there is slight scoring in 2 cylinders that I will clean up with a drill hone.
There is no step at the top of the cylinder wall.

I've had this car at the track only a few times. Best time was 13.1 @ 3860 lbs at the time.
Even with the lopey cam this engine produces a lot of low end torque. Smoke the tires at will without power braking as shown in the video.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My mind puts it at 2500-3000.

If you wanted to sell it I'd recommend transamcountry.

It takes 25 or 50 posts to get it their classifieds, but, a built 403 is a drop in right up their alley. And they aren't as cheap as a lot of cutlass/regal owners.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
That’s an impressive build, my 403 is similar in build, no idea what it’s worth, I’d agree at the 2-3k price. Just out of curiosity, how’s the ls compare in performance?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Before putting in another car I would install a new rear seal.
Compression is good but there is slight scoring in 2 cylinders that I will clean up with a drill hone.
There is no step at the top of the cylinder wall.
I am curious with only 5,000 miles on a rebuild why is there scoring on 2 cylinder walls and did you tear it down to discover this?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
they aren't as cheap as a lot of cutlass/regal owners.
hey now, i resemble that. lol but lets not point out the obvious.

however, i agree, the more you advertise it, the greater the chance of selling it.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I am curious with only 5,000 miles on a rebuild why is there scoring on 2 cylinder walls and did you tear it down to discover this?

Good question. I noticed it when I put the #5 heads on it. The machine shop that did the rebuild on the reciprocating assembly didn't provide adequate clearance for the forged TRW pistons. This caused slight scoring on the cylinder wall in 2 cylinders. I've been running it this way for years with no ill effects. The low mileage is due to the fact that the car doesn't get driven much. Typically 3-4 weeks out of the year to car shows and the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor