Sending unit, TBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Not sure where to post this so, did it here.
Here the story I have a gas tank that supposedly came from an 80's Monte Carlo with tbi.
I pulled the sending unit out and the pump is shot, lines are kind of gummed. Long story short I feel that for the price I would just get a new sending unit. Problem is I cant find Fuel Injected sending unit for a Monte Carlo.
I can find one for a Grand National, I assume its the same but when I look into applications, there is no listing for a Monte Carlo. I assume if I bought the Grand National That it will probably work but I dont like to assume. So has anyone come across this? Does someone have a part number for me or has somebody tried the Grand National one and knows it fits right.
Thanks in advance

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Here you go. I looked it up on O'Reilly's website but Amazon has a better price. It says it fits 84-88 Monte with the 4.3 on the O'Reilly website.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJXUIIG/?tag=gbody-20
sp172a1h_top_p04.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Thank you so much. I did a search on google and ebay but nothing came up. I can grab that, put the tank in and later if I go efi with the 6 oh then i can just swap the pump out.
Im thinkinh of actually cutting out an access port on the trunk. Maybe Ill think about it.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Glad I could help.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The tank is held onto the car by two straps - four bolts, and it's down. Support it until your can remove the clincher fittings attaching the three hoses to the sender. Empty the tank first by swapping the hose from the mechanical fuel pump inlet to a length of hose into a gas can. Get the flow started by siphon and let it fill the can. Your back will thank you.

EFI requires high-pressure fuel lines. EFI also requires a fuel return line. Basically, fuel is always circulating between the pump, the injection regulator/manifold and back to the tank. Aftermarket systems sometimes use a variable-speed pump on 'returnless' systems. If you do not need emissions in your area, you could try using the vapor return canister line, but you will be best off running all-new fuel lines with the right kind of fittings and hose to connect to the tank and engine. High-pressure fuel blowing a hose off could be very exciting. Others should weigh in on the right way to make this swap. I have this planned but not yet executed.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I used the gn efi tank, sender with an aero motive pump and corvette fuel filter with built in return this way I didn't have to run a line from the front to the tank. Just a line . Pretty easy. I used efi rubber hose and efi clamps and have had no issues. The Monte parts should do fine for your swap. You may have to get different connectors to wire the pump depending on what you get.

You will also need to do a Hotwire kit to maintain good constant voltage to the pump. You can buy one or make your own. I did my own it's pretty easy.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
The tank is held onto the car by two straps - four bolts, and it's down. Support it until your can remove the clincher fittings attaching the three hoses to the sender. Empty the tank first by swapping the hose from the mechanical fuel pump inlet to a length of hose into a gas can. Get the flow started by siphon and let it fill the can. Your back will thank you.

EFI requires high-pressure fuel lines. EFI also requires a fuel return line. Basically, fuel is always circulating between the pump, the injection regulator/manifold and back to the tank. Aftermarket systems sometimes use a variable-speed pump on 'returnless' systems. If you do not need emissions in your area, you could try using the vapor return canister line, but you will be best off running all-new fuel lines with the right kind of fittings and hose to connect to the tank and engine. High-pressure fuel blowing a hose off could be very exciting. Others should weigh in on the right way to make this swap. I have this planned but not yet executed.

Thanks for the info. My plan is this. I have a 350 now with low fuel pressure comig form some cheap inline pump that was there when I bought the car. I have a 6.0 ls swap in the near future that I'm really uncertain if I'm going to carb or EFI. As difficult as it is Im really trying to ony buy things that I know Ill be able t continue to use.
I going to grab this set up, I have a filter/regulator with return line in one I grabbed at one of the shops I service. That filter will allow 60psi I beleive but I can regulate it down to the 6 i need at the carb. The excess will return at the filter. I know a few guys that have a similar set and it work. If I go carb with the 6.0 then Ill leave the fule as is and should be fine. If I decide to EFI it then Ill just swat the pump for a better one.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I used the gn efi tank, sender with an aero motive pump and corvette fuel filter with built in return this way I didn't have to run a line from the front to the tank. Just a line . Pretty easy. I used efi rubber hose and efi clamps and have had no issues. The Monte parts should do fine for your swap. You may have to get different connectors to wire the pump depending on what you get.

You will also need to do a Hotwire kit to maintain good constant voltage to the pump. You can buy one or make your own. I did my own it's pretty easy.

Thats very similar to what I have. The TBI pump if im not mistaken is only 30lbs roughly. Not enough for the 6oh but for now and if I keep it carbed should do fine. If I decide to go EFI or swap to EFI later then Ill just need to swap the pump out for a better one. The tank I actually got for free from a customer. It sat in the back of a van for like 10yrs. A little surface rust but otherwise solid. The sending unit is on it but I took it off to inspect it and see if the pump still worked. The pump is shot and the line are kind of rusty and gummed up inside. I figure for 100busks for a new one it isnt worth my time trying to save that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor