Separating chrome from rear bumper support

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Does anybody have any tricks to share when it comes to removing those ****ing carriage bolts on the upper side of the bumper?
I just can't keep them from spinning after I've backed the nut off about 1/8 inch. Pretty sure the ONLY way is with a sawzall or grinder.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I don't know what the situation looks like on your Cutlass bumper, but on my Regal rear bumper I was able to get a good pair of pliers on the head of the bolt. That being said, my bolt didn't spin on me until I had already backed the nut off a couple threads so I was able to push the bolt out far enough to get pliers on the head.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Ya, I can't quite get it out enough to get anything effective on it to hold it. I might try a thin wire brush or running another nut on/off to clean the threads.
Will post back if that works, meanwhile, if any other ideas lemme know 8)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I took mine apart. Some of the carriage bolts loosened up a bit until they started to spin. I was then able to put a vice grip on the head. Several of them I had to use a cut off wheel/ die grinder on the backside and cut the nuts off.
It's a b*tch of a job, but worth it.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Longroof79 said:
When I took mine apart. Some of the carriage bolts loosened up a bit until they started to spin. I was then able to put a vice grip on the head. Several of them I had to use a cut off wheel/ die grinder on the backside and cut the nuts off.
It's a b*tch of a job, but worth it.

At the end of the day that's probably what I'll do, not much point in saving a turd bolt to shine up, it'll still be a turd :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor