Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

1985 Grand Prix. 3.8 with the 3 speed.

The engine it's self actually seems to run very well. Upon a cold start, it'll idle high for like 30 seconds then drop. If you tap the gas a few times it takes longer. Besides that, everything is very copesetic. The problem? The transmission slips. Alot. The problem seems to be the drive gear. Eventhough it's not overdrive, the transmission seems to always "search" for the gear if going up hill, and on flat or downhill, it just goes then hesitates, then goes again. The transitions just arent too smooth. Now I've only ever owned 2 4 speed autos and 1 5 speed manual before. So the non-overdrive is new to me. But I know it's not supposed to be this. What's a good checklist to start trying to solve this? Or is my problem just too severe to worry about?

Thanks a ton in advance!!!

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Since it appears that you are not too familiar with auto trans repairs it might be wise to consult a professional.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Low fluid level can/will make them slip. I think previous statements assumed u checked that already. Sorry. Check the fluid first and use a white towel so u can see the color of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor