Serpentine Belt System Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
After reading a bunch of posts here on the forum I decided to do the 88-92 Camaro serpentine belt setup on my El Camino a few months back. Most of the setups I was finding on Ebay were $300+ and didn't include all the hardware. Couldn't find any Camaros in the local salvage yards, so I ended up pulling all the parts from a 92 Roadmaster. Spent a total of $70 for all the brackets, pulleys and hardware needed for the swap. Ran across a few issues along the way that I documented in the below video. The first being the need for drilling and tapping the block to accommodate the drivers side bracket. Another is clearancing the passenger side bracket to accept the R-4 compressor. Like to know if anyone else had similar issues with their installation and hope this helps someone else planning to do this in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: 8 users

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
I have had no problem with the support strap on the compressor. I believe swappers will find the newer compressors for serpentine applications don't typically have double straps. I have been able to use R4 compressors from early NBS S10 4.3.

On the return line, I use a stub fitting in the box, with the same single simple flare as what the box return has, power steering hose and EFI hose clamps. Cheap, simple, reliable on the return side, and replaceable anywhere in the world without application or PN.

I have had good luck on the pressure side with all kinds of listings at the parts store for 80s Camaros. The number of listings they have for AC, non-AC, with and without idle-kickup solenoid switch, are astounding.

I haven't seen a 305/350 without the driver side front-facing motor-mount / serp. bracket bolt holes drilled and tapped. Maybe they had the (unique) 400 castings handled on a separate line, knew they didn't need those holes for production vehicles, and saved the step.

One thing I snuck past the goalie was previously cut and re-connected OEM fuel lines on an original CCC Q-jet car. They were able to move and the PS bracket worked. I am pretty sure original, unmodified lines are rigid enough to prevent the PS bracket installation.

You put together a nice vid. I almost wanted the powder coat to be its own vid. The content felt good enough to be a series. But a little shorter would be okay too. Well done.

Reactions: 1 user

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
Thanks so much for your detailed feedback. Not sure if the issues I came across were things commonly found doing this upgrade. I remembered reading on one of the threads here that if you use stock heads you'll probably need to drill and tap an additional mounting point to accommodate the drivers side bracket. Thankfully I already had aftermarket heads installed. But I was really puzzled when I couldn't mount the lower part of the bracket to the block. Also, I'll have to look closer at the compressor to see what exactly I ordered. It could have been for another vehicle other than the Camaro or Roadmaster. I was thinking the same thing when I uploaded this video that it was a bit too much at over 35 minutes. I'm taking your advice and breaking down the next upgrade into shorter videos which will be a Holley Sniper EFI install I'm currently working on. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I haven't watched the video, but I will offer this: If a video is 30 minutes or more, it really needs to have a GOOD title to make me think it's worth watching. I see too many simple titles for videos that are way longer than required to fulfill the premise of the title.

Maybe consider the idea of "G Body SBC serpentine conversion" to gain additional views? Not everybody would look when a specific model is called out for a seemingly universal video.

Or, I could be talking out my tailpipe. Just a couple thoughts....

Reactions: 2 users

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
I haven't watched the video, but I will offer this: If a video is 30 minutes or more, it really needs to have a GOOD title to make me think it's worth watching. I see too many simple titles for videos that are way longer than required to fulfill the premise of the title.

Maybe consider the idea of "G Body SBC serpentine conversion" to gain additional views? Not everybody would look when a specific model is called out for a seemingly universal video.

Or, I could be talking out my tailpipe. Just a couple thoughts....
Makes perfect sense. Greatly appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: 1 user

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Im in the process of doing this swap as well and am curious how you ran the wiring from the starter and battery now that the alternator is on the opposite side. Did you just run new wiring or were you able to find an application that fit it from another vehicle with this setup?

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
Im in the process of doing this swap as well and am curious how you ran the wiring from the starter and battery now that the alternator is on the opposite side. Did you just run new wiring or were you able to find an application that fit it from another vehicle with this setup?
On the 2 wire plug going to the alternator I just extended that harness with the appropriate gauge wire and made a new plug end with a pigtail purchased from Rock Auto. For the charge wire, I bypassed the one that would go directly to the starter and ran a heavier 4 gauge wire from the alternator directly to the battery. Hope this helps.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor