Serpentine Setup and Cutlass Condensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Ive had some time to mess around with the damaged Cutless condensor. A few questions though.
The condensor has four 90 degree tabs held on by screws. Do they stay on or get removed ? Theyre right where the rubber saddles go and it looks like the condensor would fit okay without them.
Im assuming the condensor sits in place at a slight angle ? This one tilts in towards the top a little. Normal ?
Last question is the important one. On a Malibu or Monte, do you have to notch the radiator support where the two lines are ? It looks like both lines are goint to hit the support. Bend them ? Try to shift it to the left or notch it ?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The new parallel flow condensers are thinner than the tube and fin design and those tabs are there so it fits in the original mounts.

Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Do you have to notch the support ?
I think mine is a Spectra and I bought it for a 86' Olds 307 and I had no issues with fitting the core support.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I think mine is a Spectra and I bought it for a 86' Olds 307 and I had no issues with fitting the core support.

Last update for the night. Got the refund for the condensor from the Rockauto fiasco. I ordered another one from Autozone. Got it in two days. Made by Spectra. Probably the same one you have in your car. Came in undamaged which was good. I dont know why my support is different but I had to trim it back where the lines are. It didnt take long to do. I cut it back about 1/2" and curved the ends. It was too small to do with a regular cut off wheel and grinder so I wound up doing it with a Dremel and a small wheel. It took longer to take the grill out so I had room to work. This is the condensor I bought. Same as yours ?

shopping.png

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The new parallel flow condensers are thinner than the tube and fin design and those tabs are there so it fits in the original mounts.
Is this what your condenser looks like? I plan on running a Chevy serpentine setup on my Olds 403, along with the F Body A/C lines & radial style A/C compressor. Is this what I need?

How about this hose assembly?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Is this what your condenser looks like?
Mine is a Spectra Premium that came in black, I installed it years ago so I don't have any pictures of it out of the car.
I ordered it for a 86' Cutlass with a 307 just to make it easier than trying to order it for my Regal.
IMG_20200711_191811688 (1).jpg
t

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Mine is a Spectra Premium that came in black, I installed it years ago so I don't have any pictures of it out of the car.
I ordered it for a 86' Cutlass with a 307 just to make it easier than trying to order it for my Regal. View attachment 151554 t

Looks like the one you have is slightly different than the one they sell/make today. Probably why I had to notch the radiator support to get them in place so I could mount it.
Do you know what the smaller line came out of ? I have two from Cutlesses and both are way to long and have the loop.

IMG_0587.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Do you have new condenser rubber isolators under there? I only have old ratty ones I rescued from the boneyard.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Do you know what the smaller line came out of ?
I used the factory hardline that came in my Regal, the only part I could not find new in the aftermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor