442 Setting The Record Straight. Don't Believe The Internet BS About 442 Decals

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I know, first world problems. But this is one thing that I've seen creep across the interwebs over time. People tend to think the 1987 442 FRONT bumper decal, which is all-gold 442 with gold "Oldsmobile" decal printed underneath the 442, is also used on the trunklid. This it total bullcrap.

Piddling around on ebay, which is kind of a habit, I found this example. There are others, but I'm picking on this one.

One blurb in there is just plain silly to me (see if you can point out the huge misconception):

1985-1986 cars had raised "Oldsmobile" emblems and did not use the gold "Oldsmobile" portion of the front and rear decals so you will need to trim/remove that portion of the decal before installation.
ONLY 1987 442 cars used the gold "Oldsmobile" decal on the front nose and rear lid.

OH!!! You just about had me believing that crap. Until you said "Don't be fooled by other auctions..." :p SMDH. I say don't be fooled by this one.

For reference, the 87 442 used TWO types of decals on the front bumper. One from the factory, and one that was made post-production sold over the counter at GM dealers.

The "Oldsmobile" lettering was originally designed for being centered top to bottom (or front to back, since it's actually slanted) on the flat section of the bumper cover's top upper section. The 442 sits near the very top about 1/8"-1/4" away from the cover break line. The factory version was made up of 2 clear decals with the gold lettering. I guess the replacements were tougher to make as 2 clear decals, so it was easier to make the gold decal like the rest of the car's decals. Mine was already starting to peel up along the edges when I bought the car and it was only getting worse. So I changed it out to the gold vinyl decal. Looking back, I probably shouldn't because I fell into the trap that many make in applying the gold vinyl version. I used the top of the pre-mask (as you would with any of the other 442 decals during application, even the H/O decals) and doing it that way centers the 442 and pushes the "Oldsmobile" closer to the leading edge. Although the 85-86 front emblem is in this position, I think it should be moved up for the 87's to make it like the original position. I just haven't got around to "fixing" that flaw I did from 16 years ago. If you think I'm bullsh*tting you that it doesn't happen often, look around, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Factory style:
1681557782450.png

Better close-up:
87 442 original front bumper 442 decal.jpg

And the GM replacement:
25530186 87 442 front bumper decal 2.JPG

And the gold vinyl version on my car as installed (incorrectly):
87442 front bumper GM replacement decal installed.JPG

For comparison, the 85-86 Front bumper decal is the same as the trunklid bumper decal. There's no misplacing the emblem as it uses studs to align through pre-punched holes in the bumper cover and push clips to retain the emblem.

1681559531546.png

Note- the rear trunklid decal is the SAME for all 85-87 442. Always. Forever. And always. The trunklid and front bumper cover 442 are the same part number for all 85-86 442. However, the same trunklid decal is used for 87 as well. Only the front bumper decal changed. But in case you were wondering, the 442 part of the front 87 decal is the same exact size as the trunklid 442 decal. There's a cutout on the GM decals to fit over the "Oldsmobile" emblems for alignment. So first, you install the Olds emblem, then install the decal. All trunklid emblems for 85-87 442 are GM p/n 20000969. The ones with the hollow legs for the "m". Prior to 85, they used the solid black backing for the "m" and the emblem was more pronounced. The front bumper emblem is the same as the older trunklid emblem except for the mounting pins instead of the adhesive.

Mounting the Oldsmobile emblem on the trunklid:

Note: Measurements taken off a factory installed trunk emblem on my 85 442. If you have a the chrome strip, which the 442 does not have any chrome strip, you may need to adjust the height measurements accordingly.
To bottom of black on emblem to the lower trunklid edge- 1 -5/8". (I'm only guessing, but if you added something like 1/16" to account for the chrome strip it may be ok for non-442s)
From the RH edge of the trunklid to the rightmost black edge on the "e" in Oldsmobile is 11/16" from the edge.

1681558268543.png

442 trunklid front bumper decal.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I remember you talking about this many years ago. You do know what there going to say when you see it incorrectly on the car, It came like that from factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor