Setting up a new unconventional AC system

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So I am attempting to set my Monte up with an AC system, the factory set up has been long gone for many years and the space it used to take up is filled, so I am attempting to install this with the least amount of change to car
So my plan to make mounting brackets to install a belt driven Sanden 508 compressor up front that will be driven directly by a crank pulley but I will be using a Vintage Air Trunk Mount Evaporator. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-685000-vuy and a remote mounted AC condenser with electric fan under the rear of the car mounted to the roll bars at an angle.
https://www.oldairproducts.com/prod...assy-w-shroud-and-11-electric-fan-11-1223sfrm
The ports will be on the lines coming off the compressor
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-35136-vuq-a
And I will also be buying a drier from vintage air and once everything is in place I will need to get custom AC lines made.
I will also be installing a RPM cut off switch since I spin this engine pretty high.
Any input, suggestions, comments are welcome I am only in the beginning stages of setting this up but it seems this could work.

vta-685000-vuy_ic_ml.jpg
vta-35136-vuq-a_ml.jpg

97c60379-4d45-4f3c-9812-8f458f29f0f3.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
like the idea. seems almost like a set-up they used for the cooling system on a 350 conversion in a corvair. same in theory, don't see why it wouldn't work, only thing I'm wondering, is are you going to run the blower fan from the rear package tray? if not, I see losing temp running all the way from the back of the car...

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I also like the idea. Sanden makes a great compressor. Much better than the factory R4 our cars came with. You will get better flow with a squirrel cage blower. My 1970 Caprice had a sweet set up in the trunk for a rear defrost system.........Many other old cars did too and you could probably still buy parts. Just a thought.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
is are you going to run the blower fan from the rear package tray?
The Vintage Air trunk kit is made to be set up on the package tray in the trunk there is a return vent and two blower vents that the ac will come from I can fit the ac vents next to the roll bars but my speakers and third brake light are in the center where the return goes so I will have to get creative there also.
https://www.vintageair.com/instructions_pdf/685000-VUY.pdf

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you wanted a more budget friendly option, you could go with rear AC unit out of a suburban.
I am guessing you can't buy those new, I would imagine the set up for a Suburban would be completely different in fitment than the layout I am planning so in the long run it might not be that budget friendly.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If you wanted a more budget friendly option, you could go with rear AC unit out of a suburban.

That was the first thing that popped into my head - pretty sure it has all electronic controls too.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
the suburban idea may work as far as the piping for the return air... maybe a split ducting below the rear seat or something similar?

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
I am guessing you can't buy those new, I would imagine the set up for a Suburban would be completely different in fitment than the layout I am planning so in the long run it might not be that budget friendly.

You wouldn't need to buy one new.....both craigslist and salvage yards are full of suburbans, yukons, and tahoes. For around $50 you could have the AC unit and controls. You would need to get custom lines from the compressor and figure out the ductwork.....but it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So my tools came for making the AC hoses I bought a Mastercool crimper 71550 that will do #6- #12 lines and I also bought a KwikCut hose cutter so hopefully that works well.
There are a few Youtube video's for the crimper and it has really good ratings.

20180801_191337-1_resized.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor