shaft mounted rockers on vortec self aligning heads ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I already have a set of shaft style rockers, link below, that I planned on using on my vortec heads. The heads are supposed to have self aligning rockers, is there any reason that these shaft mounted rockers will not work on them? the site says that they are not self aligning but I am failing to see why, being on a shaft they have no way to move back and forth right? or am I over looking something?

http://store.speedmaster79.com/p-3321-c ... m-set.aspx

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Ask the manufacturer if you can use them but I wouldn't use them, in the description...Self-Aligning: No

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I have read about a bunch of other shafts style rockers and they all seem to say that they will work on vortec heads. I threw a pair on my motor, there is no way that they will not stag aligned from what I can see. On another forum I found someone trying the same thing and it was brought up that they would reduce clattering in the valve train that self aligning rockers tend to have. I am no pro but I have built a few motors in my time, I can't see any reason that these won't work fine

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I personally can't see why they won't work. I think they would be a better alternative to the self aligning rocker arms.
Guys convert to non-aligning rocker arms using studs and guide plates. I can't see why you couldn't use these on your Vortec heads? The shafts would keep them from walking from side to side.

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
I may be wrong, it happened once, but being a shaft mount rocker, they would not self align. That is the point, as stated above, they don't wander. So long as you mount them up and turn it sever revs by hand to verify clearance, I think they would be good.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I sent a question the manufacturer if they ever tested that rocker on a vortec head and if they thought if it could be used in place of a self aligning rocker...

Dear Sir/Madam,

Possibly but they will still require guide plates as if the roller and valve tip become off aligned this will def. damaged a valve.

Speedmaster79

Best regards,

Jeff S.

P | Customer Service Team
E | [email protected]
W | wwww.SPEEDMASTER79.com

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I have figured out that the reason that they say not self aligning is because they are not, with a shaft mount you are converting the whole thing so it doesn't need to be self aligning

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor