REGAL Sham '87 GN Craigslist project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
Don't think this deserves space in the classifieds section because of its... well, you kind of have to read it. It allegedly started out as an '87 V8 Regal but then the guy bought an '87 GN and swapped the drive train... Well, you kind of have to read it. He wants $8500, and he claims there's little rust and a lot of extra parts.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/new-pics-1987-buick-regal-wo4/6590675850.html

"Car does not run and drive. It's down to misc fuel lines and fluids to be completed"

With a 4.56 rear gear, are we looking at a ten second "T-Type", UNGN?

Cheers - Gary

Last edited:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Don't think this deserves space in the classifieds section because of its... well, you kind of have to read it. It allegedly started out as an '87 V8 Regal but then the guy bought an '87 GN and swapped the drive train... Well, you kind of have to read it. He wants $8500, and he claims there's little rust and a lot of extra parts.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/new-pics-1987-buick-regal-wo4/6590675850.html

"Car does not run and drive. It's down to misc fuel lines and fluids to be completed"

With a 4.56 rear gear, are we looking at a ten second "T-Type", UNGN?

Cheers - Gary

It's got the rare 8.8 GN rear end.

4.56 Rear gears, 3.8L and 1/4 miles are not compatible. You can pick two, but all three won't work together. The stock motor REALLY doesn't like to rev over 5200 RPM. Port the heads, add a cam, strengthen the crank, you can rev it to 6K. Even at only 115 mph, 4.56 rear gear... its pretty hard to keep it below 6K with an auto trans. The gears would need to go.

An 1800 Stall converter, won't even work with a stock Turbo in a 13 second car, so that is worthless.

Basically this just a collection of parts and a rusty door roller regal. He's already down to $7500. For $5K, it might be worth building something fun, but it will need another $5-10K into it before you have any fun.

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
I thought there was a lot wrong about this pile of bastardized parts, but I didn't know about the limitations on RPMs restricting 1/4 mile times. Although fleming's comment about the 1/8th mile did perk up my curiosity.

I almost wish I were interested because it looks like an interesting pile of parts and there's another craigslist ad for four GN wheels with decent tires for $350. Alas, my Elco is gonna be all Chevy and I don't have room in my fantasies for another rabbit hole.

<What would "gnx enkies" mean?>

Cheers - Gary

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Enkei is a major OE supplier of alloy wheels in addition to their aftermarket business, believe the basketweave wheels (WS6 T/A, GTA, GNX) were sourced from Enkei

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Enkei is a major OE supplier of alloy wheels in addition to their aftermarket business, believe the basketweave wheels (WS6 T/A, GTA, GNX) were sourced from Enkei

The Enkies were slightly different than the GTA/GNX wheels. A diifferent lace pattern, different center cap diameter.

Kirban "GNX" wheels were Enkies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Have you been living under a rock? 1/4 mile is dead; that thing is destined for 1/8 mile Outlaw glory!!!!:banana:

Back in the mid 1990's there were guys that swore by 4.56 gears in GN in the 1/4. They manually shifted it into OD about the 1/8 mile mark. All I could think of was yikes. I have a good job, live in a big house with an 8 car car garage, but I don't have the money to rebuild a 200-4R every third thrip to the track. No US car build before 1990 was designed to shifted into OD in anger, and after 1990 there was only 1 until the mid 2000's, the ZR1 corvette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor