Sharkhide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
My wheels on my truck lasted exactly 1 day in the winter brine and salt. I'm going to polish them back up. Has anyone ever tried Sharkhide?
20190825_115438.jpg

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'm not putting baddd andy out of business anytime soon and it ain't a show truck, but I'd say it looks 1000x better. 80 grit, 320, red Scotchbrite, Nevr-Dull, aluminum polish, and rubbing compound.
20190825_141853.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 13 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have a quart of Sharkhide but haven't used it enough to give a review. Maybe you should clear coat them? Looks awesome. Nice work.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I did another rim today, refined my process a touch, and bought more Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish. Of course, Friday night my :rant::rant::rant:Galaxy 7 Actives took a dive into electronic planned obsolescence, so no pics. I'm actually typing on my laptop that's running off the kid's phone. Anyway, the 2nd wheel looks mo' betta.

I think I'm going to give this stuff a shot. I'm just a sucker for novelties, I guess. I don't want to clear coat them because I suck at painting.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I did another rim today, refined my process a touch, and bought more Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish. Of course, Friday night my :rant::rant::rant:Galaxy 7 Actives took a dive into electronic planned obsolescence, so no pics. I'm actually typing on my laptop that's running off the kid's phone. Anyway, the 2nd wheel looks mo' betta.

I think I'm going to give this stuff a shot. I'm just a sucker for novelties, I guess. I don't want to clear coat them because I suck at painting.

Let us know how you make out with that stuff Bruce. I’ve seen it suggested many times, but haven’t heard from anyone that’s actually used it.
It’s not available here in Canuckistan or I’d have tried it long ago.

Reactions: 1 user

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
In the world of polishing, pretty much anything combined in the main ingredient of elbow grease works. No magic here. As crusty as you started with , some 80 grit work was in order.
All a matter of on hand stuff & preferences, you can sand finer & finer till just a rag buff & liquid compound can complete it, or stop sanding sooner & power into the surface with coarser buffing products , such as a large buffing wheel on low speed grinder & stick compounds. Metal buffing wheels & compounds offer the largest variety of abrasiveness & the most professional speed. Most equipment investment cost. Time spent will vary with any methods, but final result is mostly all that matters here for a single project.
Most polishing compounds are made from the same stuff as the bar sticks for buffing wheels. For general cleanup & maintenance, I'm starting to prefer the green types of liquid polishes over white or grey. Mothers billet will give the finest final finish over a really smooth clean part, but is waste of time otherwise.

I think sharkhide is the rename of another similar product (ZOOPS??) & is known to hold out for a decent time period. Haven't used yet, but worth a shot.
Protection from any wax or polish will be minimal lasting time, end of story. Facing harsh use, even aluma-lube or wd-40 would be short term better than nothing . Just to mention for the underside of a truck used harshly, spraying with diesel was an old farmers trick, particularly for a new truck. body crevises & all.

With an aluminum product fully polished to perfection, ceracote mc160 clearcoat is the only clearcoating I know of for skilled diy use proven to stick & hold out indefinitely. Gun people like it , so you know it's tuff. It is an air dry product, single part, that can be sprayed with small sprayer. Haven't personally bought & used yet, but familiar with it's solvent, which is tert butyl acetate. Used in conversion varnish, which is super durable interior wood stuff. Strong stuff, need good mask. Any clear will be a little duller than perfect polished aluminum, but is the best permanent final solution to constant maintenance I know of.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So, this stuff does dull the finish. Here's the start: 1st wheel that wasn't sanded enough. I did 1 polish with the buffing wheel and 1 by hand...
20190920_190351.jpg

1st coat of Sharkhide
20190920_190824.jpg

And 2nd coat
20190920_194829.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor