She Lives!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Broke-in the motor this evening after having to replace the control module in the distributor. She fired right up after that. Had a few issues initially such as the timing being too retarded and the headers getting red. I followed the recommendations of my friend who said to get it to the point where it can start up and fast idle it at 800-1000rpm for five minutes. I asked him about 2000rpm for 20 min and he said that that's way too much and is not needed. Luckily after the five minutes passed, I checked the timing and I had it right at 22 degrees so it worked out. She got hot afterwards from an air pocket and hit 230-240 degrees. Have a few small water leaks and some steam, shut her off, and fired her up again after releasing the air and cooling down a bit.

Video doesn't do a whole lot of justice. The cam is a Lunati Voodoo .489/.504, 227/233 @ .050, 110 lsa.

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n211 ... 4&newest=1

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Nice! How does it sound in gear?

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
OOOOhhhh I here the ticket speeding in ... :notworthy: ... Anyway sounds good
btw what happend after you bilt the garage ...what u cant afford lights :rofl:

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
patmckinneyracing said:
I followed the recommendations of my friend who said to get it to the point where it can start up and fast idle it at 800-1000rpm for five minutes. I asked him about 2000rpm for 20 min and he said that that's way too much and is not needed.

Is your super smart friend going to buy you a new cam when you wind up replacing the cam in the first 1000 miles because of the flattened lobes?

Quote straight off Lunati's site "If recommended break in procedures are not followed, these cams WILL FAIL!"

Start the engine and immediately bring to 2,500 rpm. Timing should be adjusted, as closely as possible, to reduce excessive heat or load during break-in. Get the engine running fairly smoothly and vary the engine speed from 1500-3000 RPM in a slow acceleration/deceleration cycle. During this time, be sure to check for any leaks and check out any unusual noises. If something doesn't sound right, shut the engine off and check out the source of the noise. Upon restart, resume the high idle speed cycling. Continue the varying "break-in" speed for 20 - 30 minutes. This is necessary to provide proper lifter rotation to properly mate each lifter to its lobe. Should the engine need to be shut down for any reason, upon re-start it should be immediately brought back to 3000 rpm and the break-in continued for a total run time of 20 - 30 minutes.

With the lack of the ZInc and other things in the modern oils (including diesel oil and alot of race oils)
everything that I have read says if a flat tappet cam is NOT broke in properly (pretty similar to above method) your cam WILL BE TOAST.

But it sure sounds nice - hope your friend didn't just cost you a cam and alot of work changing it out.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Maddog, no instructions were with the camshaft and I was getting varying advice from different people. This guy knows what he is talking about as he was Chrysler's main engineer for their hemi race motors and is also very up to date on Chevy motors as well. He's one of those types where all he has to do is listen and can tell you right away what's going on.

My father and I are both knowledgeable when it comes to motors, but when Mike Crowley tells us something when it comes to motors, we don't question him. Not to say he is perfect, but this man has been around for decades and knows how to build engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor