Shift Kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
what is the purpose of a shift kit?

I believe it provides very positive shifts for high performance street use or for competitive events. I'd be happy if it gives my car that second gear chirp. They're pretty cheap and I think are a good bang for the buck. I wonder which brand is best as it is next on my list.

what i think there used for is to route the transmission fluid to make the shifts more chrisp and delibrate. also i think it makes it work better under higher hp. well thats what i think it does, now for some factual answers...

i would get one but who on here has one on their trans?

In short, what is done by a shift kit, is a fluid pressure increase, which creates a faster, firmer shift. There are a few different levels of these kits. Some are simply just create a more positive shift for towing, which is said to decrease wear on the clutches. Some will shift hard when under full throttle and be pleasent around town, others will shift hard no matter what. Of course there's more to it than just the "kit". What your looking at (I'm assuming), is a B&M shift improver kit or something similar. Comes with a drill bit, directions, and a couple different valve body gaskets.
Something to consider, if you're working with an old transmission with lots of miles, a shift kit is bound to shorten its life, kinda like building up the top end of a 150k mile engine with out touchung the bottom, not a good idea. Rebuild kits for tranmissions are cheap, and the rebuild is fairly easy. Your rearend is going to take more abuse as well, so keep that in mind. So yes it is a good bang for the buck, as long as you do it right, and remember just like anything else, once you start modifying it, it will break something else. :lol:

I have one. Not sure of the exact kind as it was already on the used th350 when i got it, but i really do like it. They basically let your trans. get more efficent shifts. Mine shifts hard no matter what, and im sure when i get a better rear end and a little more torque/hp, it will have no problem chirping into 2nd, mabye even into 3rd. Also, im not 100% sure, but ive been told that they are actually better for your transmission.

oh i have a z gate shifter on my car. the rear is stock and the trans has about 40k miles on it.

I remembered back in 1994 or so when I installed a B&M shift kit in my Olds V8 powered Regal and that it was a stage two kit. That shift kit gave great second gear chirps at WOT! I’m not too sure of the details on the specific 200-R4 because the car did have the “T” package and maybe the 200-R4 was beefier? Probably not but it could have been the reason that the 200-R4 held up for so long against all of the abuse. At the time, the 200-R4 had about 80k miles on the clock and I think that the 200-R4 lasted for about another 50k to 60k before it’s demise. AND the shift kit had nothing to do with the demise; it was an oblivious 20 something year old brain that ended the existence of that 200-R4… A late night hole-shot did it in…

I have used them in the past, and plan on putting one in my car this summer. And I have gotten 2nd gear tire chirp out of a stock 305 gbody with these 🙂. And yes, they are better for your transmission. But at the same time they are A LOT harder on u joints and rear ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor