shift linkage & transmission swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
My 1984 Cutlass had its original 200 3-speed transmission, with column shift.

Swapped a Monte Carlo SS 200-4R in, kept the same linkage.

But... should I also get a different shift linkage? Or can I adjust the original one ? The PRDNL is off right now, it's annoying.

In the past, I had done a TH-350/200-4R swap and I don't remember that it created such an issue with the shift geometry... except the overdrive was "D" and the drive was "2" on the shift indicator... etc.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Some of the factory parts are different. Might be able to make the 200 linkage work.

MV9 = 200
MW9 = 200-4R
CS Shifter linkage.jpg

Might try a image search on the part numbers and see if some bending of the rods might correct some of your issues.

Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Reading this thread got me thinking about the shift indicator in the dash. Is there a proper/correct way to allow for or adjust the indicator so it points correctly? I have an 87 El Camino with a 2004r automatic but the indicator does not align to show what gear the transmission is in. Anyone know if the indicator cable stretches over time and installing a new one will help?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The cable can be adjusted, there is a slot in the shifter bowl on the steering column that the end of the cable attaches to. There is a slot in the bowl and you can loosen the screw and adjust as much as the slot allows.

If that doesn't do it you are going to need a new cable or indicator.

You will have to loosen the steering column mount with the two 15mm nuts holding it on. If you just remove the nuts and let the column drop it will break the indicator or cable.

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
Well, in the end, it was really the linkage itself that was off. thanks to ostrich , I got a good-as-new shift linkage for a 200-4R, and it solved the issue. A 1/4 inch difference on the rod setup here and there can really make a difference...

Left, 200-4R; right 200C

20221002_154914.jpg

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor