Shifter cable routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlatsFish88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2018
I am wondering how is everyone routing their aftermarket shifter cables. I can find all kinds of pictures of the shifters installed but none on how they routed the cable. I am installing a guest quarter stick for a th350. I have bucket seats and no console.

Reactions: 1 user

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I don't usually document the work I do on my wagon via photos. But, I have a B&M Unimatic shifter in mine. I always make the loops in the cable as wide as possible to prevent binding and keep it away from the exhaust. I even went so far as to make a heat shield to protect it the from the driver's side header. But it made noise and bothered me so I removed it. The shifter and cable has been in the car two-and-a-half years with no issues. I make sure the connection points at the trans are always lubed up and I also grease the underside of the shifter since this car sees winter duty in the salt.

On my other car with a B&M Hammer shifter, I followed the same method with wide loops and away from exhaust. But it doesn't go out in the bad weather so I forgo the grease treatment.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

FlatsFish88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2018
Could I loop the cable under the carpet then drill a hole so less cable is under the car?

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
If it's a front exit cable, come thru the floor and loop the cable over the trans coming into the trans bracket. If you don't have to remove the backdrive linkage leave it in place so you don't have to mess with the reverse lights or nss.

FlatsFish88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2018
I got it installed yesterday, wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks for the help.

FlatsFish88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2018
Haven’t gotten that far yet mikester, my car is still up on stands waiting for more parts but I might mess with it tomorrow

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Haven’t gotten that far yet mikester, my car is still up on stands waiting for more parts but I might mess with it tomorrow

I'd like to know what you wind up doing. I put a B&M Quicksilver in my car and I had to get a relay for the neutral safety.

FlatsFish88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2018
I will try to keep you posted, not a good day in the driveway today, broke the nipple off the coolant overflow tank while trying to change an old hose and my temp sensor for my e-fans is a hunk of crap and doesn’t work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor