shifter cable

Trader history for wonderboy24 (0)

wonderboy24

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i got 86 cutlass . looking for a floor shift cable. the one i have is to short.i have bought several that was told would work that they were 31 inch there were the same as the one i have .but same problem. i am in need of a 31 inch cable. i have a 29.66 length and it is to short. i know they make a 31 inch .rockauto sells them but they are out. i need it 31 full length eye to eye . thanks in advance

69hurstolds

69hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jan 2, 2006
What transmission? 200-4R? Is it a stock replacement? Lightning Rods? Regular shifter?

403Olds

Master Mechanic
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
What transmission? I've got the shifter, cable and bracket off my 200C for sale. Let me know, I can go out and measure it.

69hurstolds

69hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jan 2, 2006
When you say factory floor shift, you're talking 3 speed? Cuz a 4-speed one ain't gonna work.

Anyway, if you have a factory 3 speed shifter and a TH350, they never changed the base location of the regular shifter in the A/G bodies, so you should be able to use a genuine GM 22500579 shifter cable. This is the M38 (TH350) w/D55 (console) for 80 and 81 A-bodies. It'll fit 82-88 3 speed transmissions too, like the TH200. (NOT the 200-4R though)

One on ebay now for about 37 bucks shipped.

If that doesn't fit, you've got something wrong with either the shifter or transmission lever.

Length eye to eye isn't a huge issue as it is the total travel length of the cable movement from park to low that you need to worry about. Obviously it needs to fit the brackets correctly as well.

H

hoffa65

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
i got 86 cutlass . looking for a floor shift cable. the one i have is to short.i have bought several that was told would work that they were 31 inch there were the same as the one i have .but same problem. i am in need of a 31 inch cable. i have a 29.66 length and it is to short. i know they make a 31 inch .rockauto sells them but they are out. i need it 31 full length eye to eye . thanks in advance
If they all are to short you most likely have a 4 speed shifter, the bracket that mounts the cable to the shifter is longer on the 4speed shifter. I have a 3 speed I will trade you for your 4 speed.

wonderboy24

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
When you say factory floor shift, you're talking 3 speed? Cuz a 4-speed one ain't gonna work.

Anyway, if you have a factory 3 speed shifter and a TH350, they never changed the base location of the regular shifter in the A/G bodies, so you should be able to use a genuine GM 22500579 shifter cable. This is the M38 (TH350) w/D55 (console) for 80 and 81 A-bodies. It'll fit 82-88 3 speed transmissions too, like the TH200. (NOT the 200-4R though)

One on ebay now for about 37 bucks shipped.

If that doesn't fit, you've got something wrong with either the shifter or transmission lever.

Length eye to eye isn't a huge issue as it is the total travel length of the cable movement from park to low that you need to worry about. Obviously it needs to fit the brackets correctly as well.
this is the factory shifter i run.

Attachments

wonderboy24

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
If they all are to short you most likely have a 4 speed shifter, the bracket that mounts the cable to the shifter is longer on the 4speed shifter. I have a 3 speed I will trade you for your 4 speed.
how long is your cable. the one i have is new. i bought it last year.i wouldnt have a problem trading you. let me know

Last edited:
H

hoffa65

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
this is the factory shifter i run.
measure from the cable bracket to the cable pin with the shifter in park, I will measure both the three speed and four speed shifter when I get home later tonight and we can determine what shifter it is, looks like a 4 speed from the pic

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Wanted 1

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor