Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Reactions: 3 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Now if Hurst didn't discontinued the '78-'81 specific/only parts like the mount plate (& the whole installation kit.)
I used the OEM GM mounting bracket which isn't too terribly hard to find as it is the same on the 3 speeds.
I used the 1-2 and 3-4 levers inside the shifter mechanism from an OEM GM Hurst shifter and the reverse lever from a Hurst shifter for a Ford Falcon.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Reactions: 1 user

MadMonte

Greasemonkey
Apr 18, 2015
York, Pa
Thanks for all the great responses. I have some more research to do but this gives me many new possible leads. Thanks again fellas!!

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
For my Hurst Stick I scored a complete catalogue of Hurst products and components and they have several pages in it that deal with various shapes and curves of sticks for the shifters. Maybe available on line as a PDF file to surf through. Be careful simply because a stick that has the curve you need to clear the bench may also have too much curve and crash into the dash on a first or third throw.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I have a 79 Bu with a factory bench. I'm running a ratchet-shifter behind a stock Chevy roller motor.
I ride with the seat back about three inches from full front. I was able to mount the shifter to the floor with no issues.
I had some latitude in where to cut the tunnel because the shifter works off a cable.
It's not exactly where I want it but it is close enough not to be a bother.
Besides, I only ratchet when my foot suddenly gets heavy.
However, the shifter of a stick has to mount to be mounted based on how it connects to the trans.
I would measure the distance from the back of the bell-housing to the spot on the trans where the stick will need to poke through the floor.
That will give you an approximate location.
Then you need to estimate how high off the top side of the tunnel your shifter will be and allow some backward tilt of the stick in 2nd and 4th gear.
Remember, you can play games with the height, bends (contours) and mounting angle (forward or back) of the shifter stick, so you can make it fit but at the end of the day, you have to be able to shift every time you drive the car without it making you crazy.
I have that t-shirt in red and blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor