Shifter linkage cross shaft bushing (TH200-4R)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Shifter feels like all the moving parts are metal-to-metal. No real issues other than a low-quality/worn feeling.

Is there a Dorman (or equivalent) replacement part available for this? The bushing is still there, but it's just kind of wobbly and doesn't seem to serve much purpose as it is now. Not sure how a hard plastic bushing is supposed to work anyway, I believe 700R4's had rubber ones and they seem to have a much better quality or "dampened" feeling when selecting gears. The 700R4 bushing appears to be a different design, shape wise, as compared to the 200-4R, but might work somehow (?).

I have seen that (insert vendor here) has this as well as a new spring in a kit, but almost $30 shipped is (insert vulgar/profane word/s here). Plus, it's just the same plastic deal that the original one was.

Perhaps I'm missing something here...

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The spring goes between the flange on the crosspiece and the plastic ball to keep the ball pressed into the bracket on the frame. You can grab a replacement from almost any GM auto linkage at the junkyard. Could the bracket be bent?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
The only thing I can think of would be that the spring has lost tension. Not really sure how it ever did have tension as it looks like it was made out of barely anything. Everything is there. Not sure how the bracket could ever be bent, it'd have to have been driven like the General Lee. So no, not bent. Not having any issues per say, other than it sounds like garbage selecting gears.

Not so sure any used ones would be any good. My car is pretty unmolested/clean, and was actually originally purchased by an elderly woman. Just one of the lesser quality items these cars had I guess.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor