Shifting issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPTimeMachine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2018
Hey, new to the forum here and just have a problem that somone might be able to help me with. I have a 86 Grand prix 4.3 tbi with a 3spd auto . I drive the car very often and it drives well other than for the car to upshift through the first two gears I have to let off the gas. The engine will rev high and work hard untill I let off the gas at a particular rpm. Then it shifts fine. Yes I checked the fuild, smells fine and is bright red it shifts fine going over 45mph. So I'm stumped oil is fine to and has a fresh time up . Any ideas or advise is greatly appreciated thank you!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
welcome to the forum, guys are more apt to help you if you introduce yourself along with some pictures of your car. ..:)

Is the tv cable adjusted properly?

Reactions: 1 user

GPTimeMachine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2018
welcome to the forum, guys are more apt to help you if you introduce yourself along with some pictures of your car. ..:)

Is the tv cable adjusted properly?

Ok well, fairly new to the forum so sorry for the lack of an introduction didn't know . So My name is Jim, I've had a couple G Bodies in the past such as a 87 cutlass, and a 86 2+2 , I liked the 2+2 a lot but didn't want to raise the milage to high so after I sold it I bought a 86 grand prix. As of now she's nothing special but is a low rust reliable car when I need it I'll try to attach a picture. Eventually looking into taking off the vinyl top And getting a nice set of rims. ..A engine swap will come one day but the drivetrain is fairly low miles and runs good even with the shifting issue so it'll stay a v6 a while longer.... And I didn't think of a tv cable guess I have to look into that thanks !

Attachments

• 1130171648-1.jpg
    1130171648-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 169
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Maybe some other guys who have the TH200 and/or more knowledge than I have about that transmission will chime in

GPTimeMachine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2018
Maybe some other guys who have the TH200 and/or more knowledge than I have about that transmission will chime in
Will have to Probaly check out the TV cable then this weekend but if that was the problem wouldn't the transmission be toast by now it's driven this way at least 1500 miles

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Honestly , those symptoms sound like a th350 with no vacuum to the modulator. I realize this was not an option for an 86 GP but a lot of cars back then got converted from the 200 to the 350 back years ago. I worked at a transmission shop in the 80’s and we did quite a few conversions. You might start by seeing which transmission is in the car..timo22

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GPTimeMachine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2018
Honestly , those symptoms sound like a th350 with no vacuum to the modulator. I realize this was not an option for an 86 GP but a lot of cars back then got converted from the 200 to the 350 back years ago. I worked at a transmission shop in the 80’s and we did quite a few conversions. You might start by seeing which transmission is in the car..timo22

Not very good with trannys what's a good way I can tell them both apart ? I've only owned the car about a year and don't know a lot of the history of it , so it could be possible .

GPTimeMachine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2018
And this car did sit prior to me owning it. So I always thought it was a vacuum problem previous owner said it sat for a few years , but I went over it put tires on it and a new ignition cylinder and it's been good , other than the bad shifting. But I've been getting worried about it because I sold my truck and have been looking for a new one and I drive the GP a lot in the mean time.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Well the easiest way to tell a th200 from a th350 is to crawl under there. Both transmissions have a squarish pan with a three 90’s and one corner at 45. The 350 will have a modulator mounted at the rear of the transmission on the passenger side. It will have a vacuum line to it or it should. The 200 has no modulator and uses a cable to determine shift points. timo22

Reactions: 2 users

GPTimeMachine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2018
Well the easiest way to tell a th200 from a th350 is to crawl under there. Both transmissions have a squarish pan with a three 90’s and one corner at 45. The 350 will have a modulator mounted at the rear of the transmission on the passenger side. It will have a vacuum line to it or it should. The 200 has no modulator and uses a cable to determine shift points. timo22

Ok thanks guess I'll crawl under tonight and figure out that first off , I appreciate the advise , really don't need the transmission blowing any time soon trying to keep her going til I have enough for an engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor