??? Shipping a project car from Tx to Pa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
1st I’ve never shipped a vehicle.My son took our project to Denton Tx when he moved there with the intent of finishing ALL the mechanical work. He’s accomplished NOTHING. The brakes aren’t working at all. Now he’s moving back to Pgh Pa. But I have to on my dime get the car back home. Is the fact that the car is totally inoperable going to be a problem to me? Any advice, shippers information would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. This is NOT my Elco 300, it’s a so called “ father son project “ we started about 15 years ago

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Post it on uship and see what kind of price you get.

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
When I bought my wagon it was not running and I had it shipped from California to Illinois
The guy just winched it up on his car hauler was the first car on and the last one off think he charged an extra 100 bucks cause it didn't run. It was 800 to 1000 bucks to ship and this was 4 years ago. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I looked into shipping about 3 years. From Dallas area to SW Georgia. Went on net and could get the car shipped to my door for $600.00

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Last summer. Pinto wagon inop. Dallas to Detroit. $750 with a 2 month delay. Truck never showed. My other friend Ended up towing it back behind something I picked up for him. That was on uship. Pay a little extra and save yourself some headaches.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
1st I’ve never shipped a vehicle.My son took our project to Denton Tx when he moved there with the intent of finishing ALL the mechanical work. He’s accomplished NOTHING. The brakes aren’t working at all. Now he’s moving back to Pgh Pa. But I have to on my dime get the car back home. Is the fact that the car is totally inoperable going to be a problem to me? Any advice, shippers information would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. This is NOT my Elco 300, it’s a so called “ father son project “ we started about 15 years ago
Yes it will. Many shippers won't handle an inoperative car, and on uship in particular, many brokers quote a price as if it is operative. Sometimes a carrier shows up and charges a loading fee if you aren't present to get it on the trailer, and you're left with a choice - pay it, then argue with the broker, or don't pay it and they don't take the car and leave.

Even when you book on uship, your contract isn't with the carrier, its with the broker. Kinda like building a house, you don't have an individual contract with the subs, you contract with the builder and/or General and he arranges things with the other guys. You don't directly compel the other guys, it's up to them to sort out for you and your claims lie against the builder/general.

I dealt with this trying to move cars from New England, and more recently this year, a van from within Georgia even though it could run, if it needed a jump they considered it non-op.

I also just bought the 496 yukon to tow myself because it was so much cheaper and easier.

I'd expect your true real world cost to be $2000-$3000 depending how disassembled it is. They don't like loose stuff, gas prices are up, and there's a driver shortage.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Sounds like a weekend adventure with a U-haul trailer to me

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Problem with tow dollies is that legally, the car has to have current registration if any of the wheels touch the road, whereas the trailered vehicle doesn't.

I once had a guy meet me in Corsicana TX with an OT car that we had made a deal on. He dollied it (after telling me he was going to trailer it) from Houston on 15 year old tires, destroying both quarter panels when they came apart at 70 MPH.

Buddy had a C3 Corvette shipped from California to OKC by a major player in the industry. Managed to break both glass roof panels in transit. Eventually got paid MOST of the value (rare-ish blue tinted tops), but took several months to get paid, and was a huge hassle.

Most of the "shippers" in the business are just brokers who quote a price, then attempt to find a trucker willing to do it for their after-commission price. You really want an operator, not a broker. Horseless Carriage is one, but it's going to cost a lot more ...but generally no problems.

Most shippers will not allow loose items in the vehicle, as that becomes a freight classification issue, along with raising the potential for damage due to unsecured items.

Just a few things to think about......

My practice is now to go get them myself.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
5 of my last 7 project cars have come from Toms River, New Jersey / Oklahoma City, Oklahoma / Flagstaff, Arizona / Odessa, Texas / San Francisco, California. Each time, I went by myself, drove them / winched them on the trailer, and returned back to Houston, Texas. It's the way I've always done it. I trust myself, and my rigging, more than anybody. If I want a car bad enough, I go get it myself.

I realize not everybody has a truck, trailer, spare wheels, tools, winches, come alongs, etc. For me, the road trip is half the fun!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor