shock and spring suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
i have a 87 Olds cutlass with a 455 engine. trying to soften the ride a little. the car rides like a truck. when pushing down on the front are back the car seem a little too stiff. the owner before me had 20 in. tire on it, the front seem to have coil over shocks . the rear has air shock that leaks. not sure of rear spring rate or brand. I'm getting rid of the air shock and replace with stock are something a little better. I've read the Moog 5658 are a good upgrade, the front I'm hoping I can adjust them. just looking for a nice comfortable ride.. the car is just a daily driver. not looking to lower it. with stock 14 inc. tires it has a 27 inc. ride height. I'm putting 255/60/15 on the back and 235/15 on the front.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Rear shocks - Bilstein B6. Adjust the fronts to see if you can lower the spring rate enough to get a reasonable ride. You might have to swap out the springs in the coil overs if they are still too stiff.

But the rear air shocks are the worst. They have one purpose - and ride quality isn’t it. I’d swap them 1st, then go from there.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
Rear shocks - Bilstein B6. Adjust the fronts to see if you can lower the spring rate enough to get a reasonable ride. You might have to swap out the springs in the coil overs if they are still too stiff.

But the rear air shocks are the worst. They have one purpose - and ride quality isn’t it. I’d swap them 1st, then go from there.
thanks for advice. they have good reviews

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I agree, you will have to find the right rate springs for the front. I am sure they are way overkill. If it was me, I would probably even consider just going to a stock spring and shock and eliminating the coil over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor