Shock recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
Hello Everyone, I have a question about the rear suspension if you were to start upgrading parts for it what would you buy first, second and third and so on.?? If you can please name parts and suppliers. I want to start upgrading the rear of my car but don't know where to start if anyone has any suggestions they be GREATLY appreciated... thanks

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i'd start with a decent set of shocks,the rear control arms and maybe a rear sway bar(if you don't already have one)their open channel design w/rubber bushings is prone to wheel hop and traction issues.i know a lot of people are fans of the poly bushed ones but they've proven to bind and a few other things..yeah they're better than i clapped out 30+ year old rubber bushing but for my money a spherical bearing/roto joint is king.especally on the upper arms.these cars with their triangulated four link is constantly in bind (by design) so any way you can "smooth"the travel is always a good idea.steer clear of a heim joint,they're a little rough for cruising.
I've always been a umi/global west guy.more umi in the past ten years or so.just a preference though.everyone's different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Rear sway bar made a world of difference on my El C

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
i'd start with a decent set of shocks,the rear control arms and maybe a rear sway bar(if you don't already have one)their open channel design w/rubber bushings is prone to wheel hop and traction issues.i know a lot of people are fans of the poly bushed ones but they've proven to bind and a few other things..yeah they're better than i clapped out 30+ year old rubber bushing but for my money a spherical bearing/roto joint is king.especally on the upper arms.these cars with their triangulated four link is constantly in bind (by design) so any way you can "smooth"the travel is always a good idea.steer clear of a heim joint,they're a little rough for cruising.
I've always been a umi/global west guy.more umi in the past ten years or so.just a preference though.everyone's different.
I was thinking shocks first I've seen that bilstein has a new version of shocks out well maybe new for me since I just started looking for parts I will definitely take in consideration of your recommendation Sir.! Thanks for your time to help.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Ohlins triple adjustable canisters stacked with two lock collars to give a digressive to progressive rate :)

Reactions: 1 users

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
Ohlins triple adjustable canisters stacked with two lock collars to give a digressive to progressive rate :)
I apologize but I ant never heard of ohlins are they new? By chance know what the part# 's

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
I apologize but I ant never heard of ohlins are they new? By chance know what the part# 's
I did a little research on them and they just look way out my budget they seem like they would definitely make an impact on my 84ss tho.

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Not sure what your budget is but here’s a couple Proven brands.

If you’re looking for single (dial) adjustable shocks look at Stange Engineering.

https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/strange-rear-shock-gm-a-g-body-single-adj-each.html/

If you want double adjustable (compression and rebound) look at the Viking shocks.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_64_334

Qa1 also makes the “stocker star” front and rears.
https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false

UMI makes great front and rear suspension parts too.

I currently run the Viking double adjustable shocks on all 4 corners, adjustable TRZ upper and UMI Lower rear arms, factory sway bar. BMR suspension up front with factory sway bar and Spohn sway bar heim joint links. Kind of a suspension wh*re

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor