Shock recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I’m just yanking your chain. Bilstein for stock replacement. Or if you go coil overs qa1 or Viking (not much difference look at the addresses of both companies) are popular choices

Reactions: 1 user

71_340

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2019
FLW, Missouri
If you just cruise as in normal driving buy a quality OEM style replacement shock, that way you keep a comfortable and compliant ride. I just ordered Monroe 5840 and 5802 shock absorbers.

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
Thanks 71_340 I will check on them I am considering the bilisten shocks will they affect the comfort of the ride? I have moog springs #5660 for the front and energy suspension sway bar links it's never gonna see a track as I can see but where I live we have some pretty fun curves and backroads that's what I'm shooting for kinda anyways. I want to thank you again Sir.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
There are 2 types of shocks available for our cars. Mono-tube and twin-tube. Mono-tube is what you want.

Mono-tube designed shocks have better control, are more firm and have a higher cost to manufacture.
Twin-tube are economy shocks and what were what our OEM shocks were.

Monroe does not make a mono-tube shock for G Body cars. KYB does. The KYB Gas-a-just line is a mono-tube design and is available for all G-Body cars. It's also the least expensive mono-tube designed shock on the market. It's a pretty darn good shock too. Not as good as others out there but all the others are going to be significantly more expensive.

Don't associate "more firm" with "worse ride". If your car is pretty rattle free, a shock that is more firm can actually feel like it rides better than a softer one. A shock with superior control is better at keeping the tire's contact to the road more consistently. It's better for performance too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
Thank ya Rodger1 for the advice I will check on them I'm hoping that she'll be rattle free I haven't driven her in a while now so we'll see how things work out need to get engine finished up and back in the car was just trying to do something's while the motors is out . thanks again sir

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor