Shocks and brakes for 22” inch 100 spoke rims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79_cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2020
Need advice on what make and models of shocks and brakes are good for bigger rims. I got sum 22” 100 chromed rims and want to honestly want to buy good quality that will last. Might need to get whole kits let me know if you know whatsup.

Thanks.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
You won't need any kind of special shocks because of the larger wheels and tires, that being Said the shocks are the brains of the entire operation. All the other suspension components are as dumb as dirt, Springs sway bar etc are all along for the ride. The better quality $hocks you buy the better it's going to be overall.
for my money I run bilstein's.
when it comes to brakes for stopping a larger wheel inertia you want to go with something @least two pistons because think of taller wheel as long breaker bar compared to a short ratchet,it becomes a leverage situation,it's that much harder to stop the motion. i can't speak to a brake combo for you but a larger rotor will provide more clamping surface area.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

79_cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2020
You
You won't need any kind of special shocks because of the larger wheels and tires, that being Said the shocks are the brains of the entire operation. All the other suspension components are as dumb as dirt, Springs sway bar etc are all along for the ride. The better quality $hocks you buy the better it's going to be overall.
for my money I run bilstein's.
when it comes to brakes for stopping a larger wheel inertia you want to go with something @least two pistons because think of taller wheel as long breaker bar compared to a short ratchet,it becomes a leverage situation,it's that much harder to stop the motion. i can't speak to a brake combo for you but a larger rotor will provide more clamping surface area.
ok sick thank you!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Because of your size rims the only limitation for brakes will be your budget.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
FYI, as important as larger brakes are, when going with that big of a rim size you better start thinking about gear ratio changes and transmission upgrades since you're seriously stressing the driveline beyond what it was intended to experience in the factory configuration. Unless you don't like your transmission much and don't mind it blowing...

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Just curious - what is a reasonable top speed with big rims like that? Do those spoke style rims get wheel weights to balance them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor