Shop Builds and Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagonman100

Apprentice
Jun 8, 2018
Do any of you have pads heated with pex laid in? I'm wondering how effective and energy efficient it is in a place like MI where the ground freezes in the winter.
I will be pricing radiant heat in the next shop. You can’t beat it. It not only heats the space, but the slab is warm if you need to lay or sit on it to do anything. I thought about putting the piping in the concrete of my current garage and buying the equipment later, but decided against it at the time.

Reactions: 1 user

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
20180506_161542.jpg
20180404_075944.jpg
20180411_200200.jpg

I'd do dry wall and not osb on the walls and ceiling

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I will be pricing radiant heat in the next shop. You can’t beat it. It not only heats the space, but the slab is warm if you need to lay or sit on it to do anything. I thought about putting the piping in the concrete of my current garage and buying the equipment later, but decided against it at the time.

A warm slab sounds nice, but with it warm how warm is the air in the shop?

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa

Warm, very nice. You won't get cold spots. Heats very evenly.

If you can swing the additional cost, it is worth it!

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I have a 2 car detached garage, but thinking of trying to add a car port on the side that will seal up so I can get some more vehicles. Not sure how feasible it really is but I keep thinking about it

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Do any of you have pads heated with pex laid in? I'm wondering how effective and energy efficient it is in a place like MI where the ground freezes in the winter.

In floor radiant works best in colder climates. It is not suited to area's where you only need heat during the night. The slab MUST be insulted underneath AND around the sides to get the best performance. Another benefit to in floor heat. Say it's 10° outside and you have to open the door to pull a car in. All of that cold air rushes in. Normal forced air furnaces kick right on trying to get the garage warmed back up. With radiant, the inside temp will be back to whatever you had it set at in about a minute, usually without the boiler even kicking on.... Once you have worked on a warm garage floor during the winter, youll never want to to work any where else.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The type of heating system I really liked working with was natural gas radiant heat like this https://www.krelldistributing.com/radiant-floor-heating-applications/radiant-heat-ceiling/ . We used it in the corner of a 30,000 square foot warehouse that had open doors on one end. Our area was about 1200-1500 square feet and even in the coldest part of winter we were in shorts and Tshirts. We just set the thermostat and left it on all the time. Once the machinery and floor was up to temp it really didn't cycle much, just made a nice little tropic zone. Warehouse guys were always looking for reasons to loiter there.

Reactions: 1 users

Smack-it

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2018
My father in law has radiant heat in his slab. It takes a few days to get the temp up, but once it's warm it's pretty nice. He's in north New Hampshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor