Shop heaters what do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I need a new furnace for my shop,mine caught fire and almost burned the place down. I need a hanger natural gas, so what do you have, how old, would you recommend it? What brands to avoid? Thanks

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I have a house furnace. 70k btu for my 24x34 shop. Works great for me. Luckily I know an HVAC contractor so he got me a used one for $200 and installed it for a case of beer :)

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That's scary stuff. Fire is my primary shop concern. Glad nothing/no one was hurt.
Cubic foot wise that's pretty similar to my old shop. I bought a waste oil furnace and it was waaay overkill for the space but otherwise awesome. Sorry, I really don't have any natural gas related advice.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Radiant. Floor. Heating.

It is really cool because the heat transfers into everything that touches the 28x40 slab. Even my tools feel warm.

I keep it set at 57*F, and supplement with a heat pump/exchanger if I want forced air. When you have a 75*F temperature differential between the elements and the shop - it feels quite warm.

In the summer it is the heat pump, a window unit, and fans for the AC.

Reactions: 2 users

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
Radiant. Floor. Heating.

It is really cool because the heat transfers into everything that touches the 28x40 slab. Even my tools feel warm.

I keep it set at 57*F, and supplement with a heat pump/exchanger if I want forced air. When you have a 75*F temperature differential between the elements and the shop - it feels quite warm.

In the summer it is the heat pump, a window unit, and fans for the AC.
If I build a new house/ shop this is what I would do I think

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Radiant floor is awesome! The down side is paying for it. Both the initial install and the fuel costs. You have to keep the shop heated 24/7 during th cold months, that's the only way that style system works. I'm not working out in my shop every day, sometimes not for a week. That's a lot of wasted fuel when I can keep it at 40 with a furnace and in 30 minutes have it at 65 degrees, then a few hours later, turn it back down to 40 so stuff doesn't freeze. JMO

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I've been looking into them the last couple months. Reznor is the top dog for shop heaters. Very few problems, good customer service but you pay for it. Mr. Heater brand is exactly opposite. Cheaper initial cost but problematic. Modine is middle of the road. They have 100k btu units in either brand. The Reznor is 83-84% efficient vs 80% for the other brands which makes it qualify for energy credits if that is important to you.

I'm saving for a 150k btu Reznor for my new shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor