Should I add bling to my engine to increase value or keep stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2021
Should I add bling to my engine to increase value or keep stock?

So I just bought an 87 Buick grand national and saw there were a lot of cool upgrades such as aluminum Pollys chrome parts etc. Would installing those increase the value of the car or does the next buyer want it completely stock?

I know it would be great for car shows but how would it impact resale value? Thanks

Ottawa_LeMans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2021
Should I add bling to my engine to increase value or keep stock?

So I just bought an 87 Buick grand national and saw there were a lot of cool upgrades such as aluminum Pollys chrome parts etc. Would installing those increase the value of the car or does the next buyer want it completely stock?

I know it would be great for car shows but how would it impact resale value? Thanks
Not sure how good shape your car is in but as another fairly new guy I'd recommend against it. I'd instead spend it on tools + supplies to fix up any nagging issues that are keeping it from being as solid a car as possible functionally. are all your hoses in good shape and routed well? brake hardware need replacing? tires? the list goes on. these things don't sound expensive but they add up

Reactions: 4 users

TType85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
Couple thoughts here:
1. Low mile stock is going to probably bring the most resale value.
2. Mods don't really add value.

I would say do what you like but keep the stock parts if you are worried about resale. The previous poster is right about making it 100% before doing anything. #1 thing to have is a scan-tool to be able to see what's going on. (Scanmaster or Scanmaster-G is what I would get)

Reactions: 2 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Bling will not add value ,if you want to modify your car the only acceptable reason is because you want to

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I dont know if the term would be purist but I like an almost original look under the hood. Lots of semi gloss black. Wires neatly run in black split loom. Details matter.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Devil's advocate:

If YOU like it, go for it. It might make yours stand out from the 56798 other stock GNs......

As said, keep the OE stuff for the purists should you decide to part ways with it later

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Leave it stock and use the money for something that the car needs.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Bling parts AND labor are worthless when it comes time to sell. Nobody gives you extra $$ because you spent 40 hours installing all that bling stuff that doesn't make the car any faster or handle better, etc.

I like stock, but I've had my share of mods and a splash of blingage here and there. But right now, get the car the best it can be mechanically and structrually, then add the shiny chrome bits if it gives you a stiffy from "bling schwing."

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
chrome wont get you home
not worth it
plus that cheap chrome crap always leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor