Should I get a different transmission or a new driveshaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looter

Apprentice
Jun 27, 2016
A few months back I bought a really clean th350 (needs a rebuild) on cl for $100 to put in the regal, but I found out that it’s a 9” tailshaft model, which won’t bolt directly in. I could get a shorter driveshaft made but the nearest driveshaft shop is 2 hours away in charlotte. My other option is selling this transmission and hoping I can find one with a 6 in tail that’s just as clean for about the same price. What’s the better option??

Looter

Apprentice
Jun 27, 2016
It’s not a full rebuild, just bands and whatnot, I read that changing it out is a pita, plus I’m not sure where to get the individual parts for that

Looter

Apprentice
Jun 27, 2016
i mean if it’s not too difficult by all means I’ll go for that

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Don't shorten your d'shaft that much. You'll end up chasing vibrations all around. Just get another trans or swap the tail shaft and tailshaft housing for the 6" version. If you don't know how to ask a local trans shop how much to do it if you bring them the trans. Last time I yanked a T350, local shop charged me $350 parts & labor to rebuild it. I thought that was dirt cheap.

Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Not a bad price to go through one and if you were happy I would go back. You are going to need a new output shaft and a new tail housing. I'm sure your guy has them so before you do anything ask him how much for a re-build and converting to a 6" tail. I'm guessing another $100

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor