Should I install a shift kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I've got a good 70,000 mile TH350. Fluid is stellar, NO slop in the input/output shafts, nice converter, etc. While I have it out of the car, should I install my Trans Go shift kit? I have no real reason not to, I have to drop the pan anyway to change the filter and gasket. I've never done it before. Any opinions?

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
You know I run a 200-4R, but I have driven a TH350 with a B&M kit quite a bit. It's cool.
But even with the "lighter" constant bangshifts from my TransGo kit in my 200-4R, I wanna tell you to be mindful of when the trans is about to shift when you're driving in the rain. And yes, I'm even talking about "put it in D and pull away from the intersection when the light turns green" situations. It's not terrible, but if the road is wet and your tires aren't long for this world you may start noticing those shifts quite a bit. Especially if you have a limited slip diff.

Having driven with a shift kit for at least 5 years, I've gotta say I like it. It doesn't make me stop wanting a manual trans or more power, but it does greatly improve the shifting experience.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
I had one in my el Camino and when I was trying just to cruise damn it would get on my nerves lol but when I was on the gas it felt bad *ss so with that said I wouldn’t do it again

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
I have a b&m kit in my C10. went with the HD/towing calibration and shifts feel fairly normal until about 1/3 throttle. then you really feel it. but not hard eno8gh to chirp tires

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Just do it, I liked in my GP with built 400 w/350 trans and with stock gears if I was on it and shifted manually it would chirp the tires

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Upside down on a bench is so much easier. Are you running the stock converter?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor