Should I try to save a 260 Olds Diesel with 40,000 miles on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I am expecting the call in the next couple of weeks to bring my 79 Cutlass Calais in for the drivetrain swap. I am, of course, excited to finally get this done (6.0 LS (LQ9) & 4L80 for those that are curious) but I am not sure what to do with the current drivetrain. The 260 diesel is in solid running condition. I have driven the car back and forth to work, 40 miles each way, about a dozen times over the last 10 months. The car had ~39,500 miles on it when I got it, and now has just over 40,000. The transmission is the small hydramatic 3 speed, not sure if it is THM250 or 200. It has a floor shifter.

I hate to take a running engine and transmission and turn them into scrap or let them sit and rust, but there is certainly is not high demand for these units. I have no idea what to even ask for them, thus the reason I haven't posted on the classifieds. Are there any diesel guys (or gals) out there that would have interest in this ? Anyone know of another forum where I should post them ? The swap will take place in Alpharetta, GA, and I live near Augusta, GA. I've got a trailer and could transport within a reasonable distance.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions or interest.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, try and find a diesel message board and advertise it. The 260 diesel is super rare as they were either replaced with a 350 diesel or converted to 350 gas.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It'd probably make a good power plant for something stationary like a generator or pump.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Booooooost it. ARP head bolts.

kidding.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Very cool engine, better design with the head bolts than the 350 diesel so they lasted longer. Unfortunately the bad press from the 350 diesel caused a lot of the 260 diesels to be either scrapped or swapped for a gas engine. I've got several of the Olds V8 diesels. I would say dont let it go to scrap for sure. Once they are gone they are gone

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
You are going to love the 6.0 /4L80 combination. It will be a vastly different experience from the diesel you now have.
No doubt. My first car was a 79 Calais with 305V8. When I decided to buy another 78-80 Cutlass, I knew that every engine offered back then was a detuned slug, so I didn't care what drivetrain it would have. I focused more on interior and body condition, and found this low mileage diesel. Still, it is a Calais model, so it has buckets and console, better power steering unit, front & rear sway bars, jounce bars, etc. That's pretty silly. 260 diesel, with "handling package.":LOL:

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I would love to take that off your hands.

I have a build perfect for it. But I'm in NJ....
The swap will happen in Alpharetta, GA, north of Atlanta. I live near Augusta, GA. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. I'd rather see it get put to use than scrapped. Can probably include the fuel tank if it would fit your project.... and a diesel hood ornament 😁 I can't say for certain when the swap will happen, but we're hoping in February.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor