Should my transmission cooler line be bent like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2011
I'm a newbie trying to learn how to turn my own wrenches . . .

So if you could help me out I'd appreciate any input.

I put the elco up on ramps to see if I could find out where the transmission fluid was leaking from, and it looks like I need a new seal on the transmission fluid pan. I also noticed the line had a kink in it where it goes around the header. Is this normal?

trans_cooler_line_2.jpg

trans_cooler_line.jpg

Thanks for any input or advice.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
That is not good :idea:
You definitely want to replace that asap :!: You can do an easy fix, by cutting a small section of the line and replacing it with a small length of transmission oil cooler line and small clamps
If you are going to be changing the transmission pan gasket, go ahead and and get a transmission filter kit.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I would change that, it could cause problems and overheating issues...........Especially with transmissions, better safe then sorry!! There is a right way and a wrong way to bend lines...your line was done the wrong way.... 8)

84e/c

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 25, 2010
bethpage.ny
not a good place to be putting rubber hose. replace the line. if you can bend it or have someone bend it its, a real cheap fix. use a steel line .

hp3445

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Southern New Jersey
Just a suggestion, It looks a little too close to the headers, even though they are wrapped up.. I would just get a whole new line and bend it myself , but a little farther from the headers.. okay.. alot farther.. but that is just me.. most transmission guys will tell you that overheating in a transmission is not a good thing.. this might constitute an issue in my book.... bending tubing is not difficult with the right tools.. just a little time consuming when making custom lines.. alot of measuring, bending, eyeing up, bending, ect... but you will feel alot better.. trust me on this one.

hp3445

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Southern New Jersey
84e/c said:
not a good place to be putting rubber hose. replace the line. if you can bend it or have someone bend it its, a real cheap fix. use a steel line .

I agree with you on this one!!!

May 25, 2011
Thank you guys for all the feedback, but 1 question . . .can I safely use rubber hoses if I run them properly? And if so, any ideas on how (where) to run them?

I wonder if this is why the previous owner had replaced several transmissions, this is the 3rd and final one in 3 years he had it. He was the one who swapped out the 305 for the 350 crate . . .He got it from his dad who was the original owner since 82. The impression I get talking to the previous owner and looking at the car the more and more I familarize myself with it, it looks like he cut alot of corners in the name of saving a dollar.

I like to make a dollar stretch where I can, but I want to do the job right, and do it one time only.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
If your very , very careful you can clamp a pair of vice grips on the edges of that kink and slowly squeeze that tube open again . It' s all about being patient and developing a technique. Just lightly keep tightening the handle of the Vice Grips.
Until it is round again. Go slow and be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor