Should pink wire to distributor be 12v or higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
Hi guys I tested the pink wire going to batt terminal on distributor with my voltmeter it only has 10v going to it and the battery is 12.6v. I read somewhere full battery power should be at this pink wire. Where could i be losing the extra voltage?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You want to have as many volts as you can on that pink wire. The HEI distributors work better with 14 volts. As far as losing volts I am not sure about that.

V8IgnitionSystem.jpg

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
Thanks for your reply pontiacgp. Another weird thing I notice when I have the switch in the battery on position the blower motor turns on and the controls are set for it to be off. Could the resistor be broken and this be sucking my power away from my pink wire?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
With the motor off you should have battery voltage or close to it at the pink wire. Running you should have system voltage, around 13.5 volts with a good alternator and battery. Check your connections for frayed wire, corrosion, or improper things jumpered to the ignition circuit. A car with AC usually will blow air in the lowest setting all the time. That is to provide positive pressure in the cabin and not allow exhaust fumes to be sucked in. Better known as the "lover's lane law", wink wink, nod nod.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
im thinking that you could have a bad connection in the fuse block. Isn't the ignition switched fused in th fuse block?

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
yes they are fused. fused through the gauges/inst fuse (10A). Do you think the fuse is blown? The car is at my parents place and I only have access to it during the weekends. If it was with me I would have just checked.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I was more thinking that you need to start someplace when trying to solve an issue. Start at the fuse block with a VOM and check the voltage and go from there. If you only have ten volts at the HEI, there has to be a voltage drop someplace. Probably a bad connection...

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
Hi so I checked the fuses the ctsy/clock fuse (20A) was blown. I put a new fuse in now when i put the keys into the ignition right before the battery on position it makes a loud buzzing sound. The buzzing sound goes away when the ignition switch is turned to the battery on position. What does this buzzing sound mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor