EL CAMINO Should the tach needle behave like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwim

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2022
Coastal VA, US
Hi there guys,

87 elc.

I've got the cluster apart to replace the circuit panel, tach circuit board and some bulbs. I've read that the board is a common cause for the tach behaving badly(in my case, it was pegging past max on startup and staying there).

The issue I have is that the tach needle does not return to 0. The needle just rotates and settles wherever it happens to stop. Does this mean that the tach itself is bad and I need a replacement or will it return to 0 properly when it's put back together and the circuit is operating properly?

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Read up on the link below ... it's a how-to fix the tach if the RPM's are off but there may be some helpful info.

My understanding is these gauges work off resistance, so if you had the right size resistors on the right pins to the board then the needle should move to the associated number.

I want to say what the gauge is doing now is normal & it will only return to zero if connected & key is turned on.

Mine work that way, when the car is turn off the needles for some gauges stay in the last position or sometimes even slowly decrease but once the ignition is in the on position they all zero out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor