should you have throttle shaft play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
i know the shaft on my 4 barrel roch. carb should be tight and not leaking vac. but is there any amount of play thats OK? i read to spray wd-40 on the shaft around where it enters the carb and if it changes the idle its faulty or worn out. when i triied to jiggle mine i could only move it in and out a little but it makes a click when i do it and i also have to open the throttle pretty much all the way to do it. i sprayed the sh*t out of both sides and i never noticed any difference in my idle, so does that mean mine is hunky dory? altho when i sprayed it right inside the carb it seems to raise the idle and smoothen out a bit, but thats a whole other story tho... :blam:

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
cutlassguy said:
i know the shaft on my 4 barrel roch. carb should be tight and not leaking vac. but is there any amount of play thats OK? i read to spray wd-40 on the shaft around where it enters the carb and if it changes the idle its faulty or worn out. when i triied to jiggle mine i could only move it in and out a little but it makes a click when i do it and i also have to open the throttle pretty much all the way to do it. i sprayed the sh*t out of both sides and i never noticed any difference in my idle, so does that mean mine is hunky dory? altho when i sprayed it right inside the carb it seems to raise the idle and smoothen out a bit, but thats a whole other story tho... :blam:

From what I know this is normal on carbs as the only thing holding the throttle shaft in is the butterfly valves, so you should be good.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
right on! thanx man!!!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The throttle shaft play people talk about is any up and down or fore and aft movement of the shaft in the bore. Not side to side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor