Side exit exhaust - FINISHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
A random project I started a little bit ago. After being dissatisfied with the 2 tail pipe configurations(Monte SS and GN) I have run on the aerocoupe I decided to try something else since I was replacing it anyway with the new Pypes X pipe setup.

The X pipe install snowballed into a full exhaust overhaul. I retained the electric cutouts but switched from Pypes Street Pros to Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers, from there it goes to the tips which have boom tube style inserts I made and welded in. Dr. Gas sells boom tube tips/mufflers but for the $300+shipping they want I decided to make them.
Plus it gave me a reason to hide out in the garage and drink beer :banana:

With a 4'x4' sheet of 16ga sheet metal, a China Freight metal brake(that didn't survive the whole process btw), a grinder and a welder this is what I came up with. It's hanging low and outward in the pic because I still have to officially mount them. They will be satin black to help hide them better. I will have more pics later tonight when I finish it up. Thoughts? Insults? I know its not everyone's style but oh well :cool:
exhaust2.jpg

exhaust1.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I like that style tip! It doesn't fit every car, but it looks good on the Aero. I had originally planned on using tips like that with the "NASCAR" theme to them, but I just don't think they'll fit the bill for the Cutlass.

Looking good, get 'em mounted up and let 'er eat!

Reactions: 1 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I like it, as l got it coming out Infront of tire on the cutlass, but l wonder the legal side of yours as it's tucked in. Fumes up into wheel well or up side of car. Mine are out even with tire.

Just a thought.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I like it, as l got it coming out Infront of tire on the cutlass, but l wonder the legal side of yours as it's tucked in. Fumes up into wheel well or up side of car. Mine are out even with tire.

Just a thought.
Good point. I guess I will drive it til the cops say I can't. If they don't like it I can always open the cutouts :D

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am really not a fan of side exhaust since I know what will fit over the axle on a Gbody and tailpipes do wonders for quieting a car down, that being said I think it is one of the best looking side exhaust I have seen and I like that you went to the effort to make the tips yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
With those spin trap style mufflers that's gonna be something.

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I am really not a fan of side exhaust since I know what will fit over the axle on a Gbody and tailpipes do wonders for quieting a car down, that being said I think it is one of the best looking side exhaust I have seen and I like that you went to the effort to make the tips yourself.
Thanks!

Im just not a fan of the look of tailpipes on these cars. Angled only looks good on the Olds and GN cars they came on. Straight out the back means the whole pipe is visible from the side because the frame is lower than the body. If the tailpipes fit more like the A-bodies of the late 60s-early 70s I would run them because they are more hidden from the side.

Im either too picky or good at creating more work for myself.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
And before I forget. Anyone looking to bend 16ga sheet metal with a small Harbor Freight metal brake DON'T. I learned the hard way that being rated for 16ga doesn't mean it can actually......you know bend 16ga. I got a few bends done before the middle of the brake bowed out. I used a hammer and a round leg from the steel table I was working on to form the curved sides.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
The tips look good, but would you clean that beautifully car!
I would but then that means im laying in water playing with the exhaust :D

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor