Side mirror plastic backing type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
When I was disassembling my C4 Corvette side mirrors for paint, I happened to break a portion of a plastic tab that retains the pivot bar on the back of the mirror backing plate. I’d like to fix it by chemically bonding it back into place kind of like a PVC glue but I can’t figure out what type of plastic these are made out of. I’m assuming it’s ABS but does anyone have any ideas?

There is a round symbol on the back of the mirror similar to this third gen f body mirror, but since it looks like this one has an 8 in the center of it (both of mine have a 3 in the center) I’m assuming this is some sort of manufacture date code.
2F31220A-67B2-4D24-AA4A-2E8FA02CCCDA.jpeg

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
Your best bet is a good epoxy like JB Weld or JB Quik. Be sure to roughen any surfaces where you expect the epoxy to stick. Use coarse sandpaper. Do a dry fit and prepare any support or tape before final glue up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor