Side Reflector Cut Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Why not just use side markers from an 81-86 they were lighted and are the same size and shape as the 87-88 ones.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I would have to ask why? The side marker was replaced with a "reflector" for 87 and 88 because the "new" corner light had the side marker lamp built into it, negating the need for the traditional side marker lamp in the lower fender.

I agree. Go with an 81-86 lamp instead.

ken87cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2014
Evansville, IN
Well, I really didn't know they had changed!

Guess that would be the easiest way to add some more light to the side

Headed over to "parts wanted"

Thanks guys!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The 81-86 lamp is exactly the same on the outer lens but the only difference is that it has the cross shaped hole for the light socket. 87 and 88 was sealed up. You’d be looking for GM parts 915315 for driver and 915316 for passenger side. They’ll swap right in place of the current ones.

ken87cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2014
Evansville, IN
OK, next question.

The front side marker light/front turn/and running light all work at the same time. Just like I want.

Now comes the rear. I'm trying to get the side marker light to work with the stop and turn while being on with the running lights. I don't even remember if they were designed to work like the fronts or not. I'm guessing not. I've got the wiring diagram from the CSM and it doesn't look like it.

Anyway, is there a way to get it to work?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There's always a way to get things to work if you toss enough time and $$ at it. But if I'm understanding what you're asking, you're wanting the rear side marker lights to act like tail lights. This would require a separate circuit and bulb to tap into the stop and turn lamps. Not enough room in those housings to pull that off the way they are. I'm not sure how you'd pull that off, but that's basically what you'd end up having to do. I just wonder why anyone would want to do that.

Personally speaking, that seems like a lot of work for not much return. But...you do you.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
IMO it doesn't sound like something that would be DOT compliant.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Easy way to make your rear side markers blink with the turn (& the brake lights) will be ground the black wire of the side markers to the yellow for the driver side & dark green for the passenger side. As for DOT legal, there are some cars & trucks with wrap around lights that use the same bulb for the tail/brake/turn lights instead of having a seperate side marker light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor