Simple fan question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
I'm getting back on the Wagon after a couple weeks of extra curricular. I'm to the point of Radiator fan. All of the clutch type fans I have laying around are right in the 20" range. Is there a smaller diameter fan that bolts to the standard GM Hydro-static clutch? I don't really want to run electric, will if I HAVE to. I absolutely refuse to run a Flex fan as I've seen them come apart at high speed and that is scary. So, what are the Big Block G-bodies running for a fan??!! I'll throw in a couple pics-

The fan clears the hood, but is proud of the radiator
2012-02-23_08-21-17_223.jpg

2012-02-23_08-21-44_820.jpg

Thanks guys!- Matt

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
I used a stock GM clutch fan on my 69 Firebird...I'm 99% certain it was 18.5" diameter.

You can also buy a new 18" from Hayden for about $35; just transfer the clutch.
Listed here on Summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-3618/

Not sure if there are any smaller ones than 18".

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
When I added a clutch style fan to my '66 El Camino a couple years ago I grabbed one from the wrecking yard. It ended up being a bit too large to fit inside the factory shroud. I shortened each blade by about 3/4" in my band saw, eased the edges with a grinder, fresh coat of paint. Looks factory and cools like it should. It looks like you already have a fan so that solution may work for you too if there isn't a common bolt-on option. Only costs about 15 minutes of your time to find out.

1980PontiacWagon

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2011
my fan is from a 1970 Pontiac Lemans that my auto tech teacher gave me...keeps my big block cool no matter what the weather is. Do you have a shroud?

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks you guys! Ya, I have a shroud. I was thinking about cutting it down, but it looked like it would get kinda close to the hub, but, then an 18 or so would be the same distance. I'll just cut it down and get on with my life. I'll have more boat p*rn tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor