Sitting Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
Quick question, i havent been able to finish my motor swap as quickly as i would have liked to due to some financial problems. I have my motor(350) nearly complete with the bearings, pistons, cam and everything in ,and the heads and intake on without being torqued down. The whole thing is covered in plastic and i left it well lubricated, but it's been sitting in the garage for a couple months. I just want to know if when im ready to drop it in, do i need to take it apart and re-lubricate everything? I would hate to have to do that, but i want it done the right way. thanks in advance.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I *think* it'll be ok. Be sure to prime with the oil pump for a few mins just before starting it.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
If you lubed it all up right the first time you shouldn't have a problem. The big issue is keeping it clean. You said you have it wrapped up so thats good. The big enemy would be dust and dirt that settles down into the motor. As long as you have it wrapped up clean I dont think you'll have a problem

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
One of the last things to do b4 starting would be to re=prime the system through the oil pump. Make sure u keep it wrapped good to keep dust out. Also use dessicant bags to keep moisture out. Don't want any rust in there. My other concern is that u lubed it good but didn't torque the heads. If u have the head gaskets in there the oil may run down on them when u don't want it too. Possibly ruining the gasket. Torque the heads or remove the gaskets. Other than that, you're in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor