Slave Cylinder Retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm going to change the bell housing this winter to get rid of the tilt in my T5 WC. I have seen a few different brackets and cylinders they sell but I am wondering if any of you have done this and can give me some feedback about what you have used. I might just go with a hydraulic throw out bearing but I want to keep my options open.....thanks

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well, I'm interested in your solution. You being a roundy-round guy: who makes good (reliable) stuff? I agree that changing out/rebuilding a slave cylinder is easier than pulling the trans to change a throwout bearing. Now, ya got me rethinking my choice....:unsure:

Personally, I'd try to use factory brackets if possible. What came with slave cylinders?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
We used the Howe in our circle track cars until we went to a 6" multi disk clutch in our sportsman. Lots of guys at the track used the Howe and as long as they didn't over extend the throw on the Howe they were fine. I used the Howe in my GP for a couple of summers with no problem but it did cost me a performance clutch with 6 weeks of use. I picked up the rebuild kit but never rebuilt it, the Howe's cylinder is probably corroded by now so it's junk. The problem I have with the slave is I have a Moroso 7 quart pan so with the position of the slave cylinder I have to remove the cylinder to change the oil filter. With the position of the slave cylinder with the 3858403 bell housing which mounts the T5 in a level position has the slave cylinder sitting up higher so a filter change may be doable with a cylinder in place. The older systems used rods and linkages which is out of the question for me. I do like the hydraulic throw out bearing better though, it's simpler, looks cleaner and I never liked the fact the slave cylinder filled with brake fluid is sitting above the header collector.

Reactions: 1 user

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
This on a T56 with a mechanical bellhousing for a SBC. It’s a Toyota truck slave cylinder. I just picked up a brand new one and they are less than $20. A little fab work and feels great. It does put the bleader pointing at the oil filter
A7E2650B-7492-4F0D-82C9-5B15956907F2.jpeg
04D39BBF-6466-4177-810A-F236AB61D69F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
This on a T56 with a mechanical bellhousing for a SBC. It’s a Toyota truck slave cylinder. I just picked up a brand new one and they are less than $20. A little fab work and feels great. It does put the bleader pointing at the oil filter View attachment 97628 View attachment 97629

I use the F body reservoir and it is mounted up near th mater brake so it sits so much higher than the slave it bleeds itself, the air makes it way up to the reservoir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor