REGAL Slight tick after Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
So I changed the plugs last weekend, and ran some Seafoam aerosol through the carb, and put a can of Seafoam fuel treatment in the tank. The car starts and idles a lot smoother (except for an occasional stumble) but I have noticed a slight tick at idle that I hadn’t noticed before. It’s not severe.

I don’t know if these engines have adjustable rockers, or if it’s maybe a lifter that’s not pumping up all the way (the even-fire 231s have hydraulic lifters, right?)

Any experiences or tips appreciated.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I don’t know if these engines have adjustable rockers, or if it’s maybe a lifter that’s not pumping up all the way (the even-fire 231s have hydraulic lifters, right?)

Adjustable no, hydraulic yes, how may miles is your tick on the drivers side.

IMG_4449.JPG

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Unfortunately that's a common problem after running seafoam in these older engines. More often than not, it leads to needing work shortly afterwards

Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Would changing the oil help? I didn’t put any Seafoam in the crankcase, but I’m wondering about blow-by, and if it thinned out the oil. Most the car has been driven since Seafoam is around the block a few times.

As long as I can get another 5-7 years out of the engine, I’ll be happy. At most, I’ve only been putting a few hundred miles a year on it.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Just shut the motor off at car shows, and no one will be the wiser.

You probably have years left. Changing the oil won't hurt, but try an old mechanic's trick. Put the handle of a long screwdriver up to your ear and touch the other end various places on the motor to try to isolate the ticking - I've had fuel pumps start to go bad that sounded like a ticking lifter. Just don't shave off your nose in the spinning fan...

Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Just shut the motor off at car shows, and no one will be the wiser.

You probably have years left. Changing the oil won't hurt, but try an old mechanic's trick. Put the handle of a long screwdriver up to your ear and touch the other end various places on the motor to try to isolate the ticking - I've had fuel pumps start to go bad that sounded like a ticking lifter. Just don't shave off your nose in the spinning fan...

Fuel pump is relatively new. Granted, it's probably made-in-China crap from RockAuto, but we replaced it when we went through the fuel system rear-to-front. Now I'm trying to isolate the intermittent stumble. It has new plugs and wires. I'm wondering if the distributor could be on the fritz. All-in-all, it runs pretty good for what it is.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The reason I asked about the right bank tick is the poor oiling to that side. If you don't already have one - recommend installing an oil pump booster kit, cheap and easy to install.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor